My leukemia's back.

Wow. I have had my eye on this thread...but never felt qualified to post on here. The recent news brought tears to my eyes. I'm praying and i will continue to pray.

I'm just lost for words, i cant find anything good to say, if i try to say something sympathetic it will end up sounding completely pathetic.

Qualified? No qualification criteria that I know of! Simply a caring spirit, and encouragement are the only necessary things to bring here. You have both. Welcome. While this thread is mainly for Rachel, it has become a community of folks giving support to each other as well. Glad to have you with us.

Blooie...... I've forgotten if you mentioned this or not...... but what had your doctor said about your swallowing issues.
Simple prilosec should straighten up your heartburn...... I've taken prednisone for years..... without the extreme issues your having. Which worries me a little.
Prednisone itself I don't think will cause this just aggravate an already existing acid reflux.
Prednisone is a love hate thing.....i love it because it's the most effective anti inflammatory i have at my disposal.
I hate it at higher doses because it makes me a crabby M.F. and jittery and hungry....etc.
Luckily most of the time I'm on lower doses.....I pray for you and really hope you get this figured out..... but from a person with chronic heart burn...... you need either prilosec or nexium (the better choice).
Trust me I can always tell when i forget to take my prilosec..... horrible horrible heartburn

Well i figured i owed my good friend Blooie a read back.....i went back and see the doctor took you off prednisone Friday.
Has your problem improved?
You know I'm not a doctor and never even played one on TV. So I don't want to start diagnosing you......I hope you get to the bottom off this soon. I'd be pushing b the doctors hard..... you already have enough health issues and need to get nutrition.
Pleased let us know how it goes.
Even though we arent a priority we are sort of a cyber family here and care for you.
Your friend Phil.

Yep, I stopped taking it on Thursday because I couldn't even get it down, so my last dose was actually Wednesday night after the ER. Friday was when I next had a consult, and he told me to stop taking it. Well, DUH, Doc...I did that two days ago! :he This swallowing thing is a known side effect of Prednisone in women over 60, so it can indeed cause Dysphagia, and I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I rarely ever get heartburn unless I've chowed down on a plate of Buffalo wings followed by a pizza (my favorite combo at a nearby restaurant) and this heartburn is coming from that "pouch" where everything sits until it slowly heads the rest of the way down. I have an appointment with my primary in about an hour, so we'll see what he says. Wish me luck!

I rarely ever get heartburn unless I've chowed down on a plate of Buffalo wings followed by a pizza (my favorite combo at a nearby restaurant) and this heartburn is coming from that "pouch" where everything sits until it slowly heads the rest of the way down. Wish me luck!
:fl Good luck with Dr. appointment. Please forgive me for wanting to offer hints for curing "sour crop".

I want to chime in about the Ensure. My Mom hated the regular Ensure that is more like a milk product/slim fast shake. However, she loved the Ensure Clear. It taste like a juice only has a thicker consistency. Best flavors for her were Mixed fruit & Peach. I bought at Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens. I often had to check different places for the Peach. Hope this helps.

:fl Good luck with Dr. appointment. Please forgive me for wanting to offer hints for curing "sour crop".

Oh, that is too funny!!! Do you know how many times that exact analogy has popped into my head???? :lau In fact, because this feels like a big rock blocking the bottom of my throat, I even said that chickens were stoopid for eating rocks!

I want to chime in about the Ensure. My Mom hated the regular Ensure that is more like a milk product/slim fast shake. However, she loved the Ensure Clear. It taste like a juice only has a thicker consistency. Best flavors for her were Mixed fruit & Peach. I bought at Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens. I often had to check different places for the Peach. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Bet I could get that down easier than the milky stuff!!

Back
Top Bottom