Need Info On Pup/Dog Vaccines...

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Its time to bring my pup in for her 2nd set of puppy shots. She'll be 11 1/2 weeks old....
Her first set (at 8wks old) included: Distemper, Hepatitis(CAV-2), Parvovirus, Parainfluenza..

So.. I KNOW when we go for this next set of shots..they'll try to get me to give her 50 other vaccines, along with the standard ones they HAVE to have,.....
And i dont know what ones she REALLY needs....
What ones are REALLY necessary(besides the basic ones that they always give a pup)... Like i know they'll suggest Lymes Disease Vaccine...But my other dog had that vaccine and STILL got Lymes Disease...
roll.png

So is it really any good?
Also.. what vaccines last the life of the dog? Do these pup vaccines last the life of the dog? Parvo? Distemper?
WHAT vaccines do adult dogs NEED every year.... besides rabies?
Thanks for any info..

Parvo and Distemper FOR SURE!!! I tend to not go for the anti-cancer ones, or the anti-worm ones. I can worm him myself and I don't feed tables scrapes at all. Sitting here at my messy desk, I can't find the shot folder on the dogs. Craptastic.

Found it!!! Ok Parvo, distemper. rabies and something called parainfluenza. Those are the ones most recommended.

Last edited:
Did your dog that was vaccinated with Lyme get a booster a month after the initial one and a yearly booster after that? If not, then she wasn't protected.

At her next appointment she should get a DA2PP booster and you should also get her Bordetella (kennel cough) is she will be boarding, going to dog parks, or otherwise around other dogs. I always vaccinate for Lepto, but it depends if it's endemic to your area. Same with Lyme...depends on the area and the exposure to ticks.

Dogs should have their Rabies and DA2PP boosters every year at a minimum. Whether or not they need bordetella, Lyme, and/or Lepto just depends on your area and their exposure. All vaccines are yearly, with the exception of rabies (lasts 3 years after their second booster) and bordetella (every 6 months).

ETA: Oh, did I mention I'm a vet? I'll send you a bill for the consult. You can pay me in eggs.
lau.gif

Last edited:
at that age shouldn't they get a wormer of some sort also?
smile.png

Rabies these days sometimes is on a 3 year shot so check that out. The yearly that I know of are parvo/distemper & bordetella. Probably a good idea to keep up with the blood test for heartworms & stay on a preventative for that. But the heartguard is not required.

my thoughts ,once they are done with the DA2PPV puppy series they dont ever need another,,I do that and one rabies and call it good,Lyme vacc seems to cause more lyme then it prevents from talking with others.another thing depends on where you live,some cities its hard to get by without them if they actually check every year.

Quote:
WHAT?!
ep.gif
That's like saying a child needs their first round of vaccines and is then fine for the rest of their life! Not to mention it is ILLEGAL not to have them up to date on their rabies vaccines. I am currently at work (ER vet) and I have had 2 cases of parvo tonight...why?...b/c the owners didn't think they needed to keep up with their vaccines.
he.gif
Now it's going to cost each of them around $700 for treatment and I can only tell them that MAYBE they'll live. So easy to prevent and so horrible for the dogs that aren't protected...just like heartworms...completely preventable.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Thank you for your help, Mizz Vet lady...
smile.png
hugs.gif

Yeah..Daisy had the booster... so of course i questioned the vet how that could happen when she came up positive for Lymes..
All the vet could say was maybe she had it before given the vaccine. But theres no way of that... She was in a pet store in the city... and only at my house for under a week before i took her to the vets for her pup check-up before she got that vaccine..... ooh unless she got it during the month before the booster was given... that may be the case! I dont know..
So...
But i'll get it anyways..cause Lymes is BAD here.. very bad.
Not sure baout the Lepto? Not even sure what that is.. I'l have to google it.
hide.gif

Is the DA2PP... the distemper shot?
So Lepto is yearly too then? Parvo yearly too??
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom