Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in a small town and animal control consists of only a couple officers. I had an issue with the same neighbors a couple years ago when their rat terrier was going after my rabbits.
When I called they told me that if the dog was on my property I had the right to shoot it, but there wasn't much that could be done if the animal was on theirs. The problem is if they come out, they keep the dog in the house for the most part, it's when they let it out to go to the bathroom that it comes over.
We have two pups that have the run of the place so all they have to say is it was my dogs attacking the chickens, not theirs.

It sucks because besides the dogs we have very little problems with the neighbors. We had four ducks who ran the neighborhood. They would go to the neighbors yard, across the road to the dairy, everyone loved them. Well they are dead now, nothing I can say about that because they do go in the neighbors yard, but the chickens stay in our yard. We have a large wooded two acres next to us on the other side and they hang out there as well, but they have never gone in the neighbors yard.

I've actually got up early and sat with my loaded rifle ready to shoot my neighbors dog when it started chewingon my fence again after it slaughtered nearly all my chickens. Greer I hate it when people don't think about what happens whenever they're to lazy to walk their dang dog

I've shot many dogs in the past. They are dogs that the neighbors don't feed so they run where ever to find food. But here in South Dakota it's fairly wide open these dogs run for miles it's best to put them down!

When my nebors black lab killed my 4-h chicken, might I add 1) the dog did it in FRONT OF ME 2) i HATE ALL black labs no, no sorry ALL labs no and i am completly tromatized now. The guy had total respect and he offered me a batch of (25) buff silkys( my parents said no, lol). My dad said if any of the guys dogs come back there dead. ALL his labs. The guy said ok. He keep his dog in a kennel for 1 year and 6 months. Lol. (2 years ago) R.I.P. Buff. I realy mid u bud. :,,,-( In loving memory of my first chicken Buff. He was a 7 month old Roo. He was protecting me. I never seen him act the way he did, then he gave up, and stuck his head out the cage, the lab brick the cage( a 150 lbs dog kennel) and ate him right in front if me. Ripped is the ought out. :,-,,(. Love you buff boy.
1f625.png
1f607.png
1f4a6.png
1f4a7.png
1f639.png
1f494.png

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
SternRose, I am very sorry for your loss. Growing up in farm country with free ranging animals, I lost a beagle who got hung up in barbed wire on a neighbor's place. It really hurt to find him after searching for days. And late last fall, a neighbor's malamute killed 23 of our chickens (not pets), one meat turkey, and my pet tom turkey. That was also very hard.

The thing to remember is that although your buddy Buff is gone, you can make new friends. We had a rooster who would ride down the hill on a sled with my kids, and a couple of bantam chickens that liked to perch on your shoulder like parakeets. Every animal you encounter has the potential to be your friend. Take the time to start with a couple of chicks and hand raise them. Your birds will appreciate it!

Time to do what it takes to shoot that dog on sight. I hate saying that... but this is one instance given all I know that I would recommend shooting it and killing it. Maybe your neighbors will learn from that.

Yea my dad has is shot gun loaded 24/7 now. And the dog came back yesterday he is a least 9 years old now. O I have had at lest10 other chickens since, I must have a cruse because all but 3 have died.:,(
But these girls r my newist:
whit Cochin girl is Casper and the other Cochin girl is pongo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom