New Hampshire!!

Quote:
A Buff Orpington is another red chicken, they're supposed to be very sweet natured, and calmer than the NH Reds etc...but I am thinking that since my roo is a NHR, and I need to reduce, I might as well keep the NH Reds so the ones I raise won't be crosses.

When I ordered my chicks, I just got a few of each (cause I'm clueless as to what is "best"), but am not seeing much difference in the disposition of the breeds so, one breed of red chicken works for me
smile.png
. The BR are Plymouth Barred Rock...nice birds, and supposed to be good layers, again I have the Silver Laced Wyandottes and am partial to their coloring soooo...lol...the BR's go. Got to choose somehow, and since they're not laying yet, it's b'guess and b'gorey as my dear MIL would say!
wink.png

PICS:
Buff Orpington: (not mine, but they look like this) http://www.krystalrose.com/rosewood/images4/buff_orpington_hen.jpg

Barred
Rock: (again, not mine...just for the picture) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRockHen.JPEG

Oh, ok.. I have 3 RIR's. They R good layer for just startn' out, so I'll keep them. I like what Carmen has called her flock , I have a" Bouquet" of chickens.
big_smile.png

So I am looking for a few different ones, lg to med egg lays. my Banty's & silkie's lay small eggs.

I was thinking of going to that show on Saturday , but I am booked , can't get out till 2pm. Bummer, cause I guess a lady from Maine mayB coming down & she usually's has the S.Faverolls I am looking for.
I'll wait till the 16th. May even bring one of my blk Cochin hens If I down sz by 4 or 5 , then I can get that many more of rare breeds.

Quote:
There is a lady here on byc comeing from Maine she usally has the salmon favs ( her byc name is poultry run farm), and i will have polish lf.

Will they B chick or full grown, do U know ?
what is the addy for the Townsend show ? I'll map quest/ yahoo directions. Thank U

usally she has starter ages,
the address is
181 Fitchburg rd
Townsend Ma 01469
rt 13

My family and I went to the Deerfield thing as well, and got lucky to find a sweetheart of a Silkie rooster to replace ol Snowball. Brother named him Mario (hence the Nintendo fandom of his).
That day when we got Mario we discovered it was the same lady who gave us Elliott last year. She's wicked awesome, so is her entire flock when we went to go pick Elliott up one day.

We are near Keene, NH. Tell me more about local shows, fairs, swaps..? We don't have any chickens yet, but want to meet local chicken people, and their chickens to determine what breeds we would like to keep.
yippiechickie.gif

i think swaps are done for the season but there certainly are a lot of big poultry shows that go on during the winter! always good to do your research into what breeds are out there, what your egg/meat needs are, and how hardy are you really looking for for this area! also, are you looking for birds to be fancy lawn ornaments for showing, or do you just want the eggs & meat?

Back
Top Bottom