BuddyADucks

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
I just picked up my new boy a few days ago. I'm new to chickens, mostly I've done ducks in the past, so trying to place this guy to a breed has been a challenge; didn't know there were so many chicken breeds. I thought he might have been a rock since he's black and white speckled but when I got him home I found he's a lot more white then my hens. All the people I got him from could tell me was he was a free "exotic" that came with their spring order. He has a flat blood red comb and streaks of red scaling on his feet and legs. Fact his markings make me think of him as hot ashes siting in a fire. He also has a flared mane/neck feathers that get real impressive when he shakes or puffs up and he has a couple of long thin feathers on his tail, the kind I see when looking up some phoenix breeds; but I don't know if that means anything. He's about 20 weeks and is a really sweet guy. So I'm thinking he has to be from a docile breed for sure; since he has never been held before and took to being petted and kissed like a long lost friend, if you can mange to catch him first, fact he got pooped on, likely from my goose, and even let me give him a bath today; only tried to jump out twice and never a peck or a claw. All I have is the one picture since I have no batteries for my camera. I tried to explain anything the picture might not show. I'll be able to post more this weekend if it helps.
My boy.jpg

Attachments

• My boy.jpg
    My boy.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 3
Yep, I agree, Dominique's have the rose comb, barred rocks have a single comb. And the markings are a bit different. Here is a link to a video that shows them side by side for comparison.
Handsome guy, hope he stays sweet!!

Back
Top Bottom