• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I just love my chickens..They are the best pets. I am a gardener in addition to keeping many different types of pets. My chickens winter in my green house happy as can be keeping bugs and bad stuff out.

I just keep them for the sheer fun and entertainment value. Nothing funnier than having chickens 'help' you do the weeding or dig over the borders! I frequently dig up a large lump of earth and find a chicken perched on top of it!!

We raise them for all of the reasons listed in the poll. What got me interested though was wanting to have some control over my food source and knowing how the animals were raised and what they had been fed.

I put eggs, pets and bug control as main reasons but just have to add we love sitting in our backyard and watching "chicken antics". They can be so funny sometimes and nothing beats sitting in the sun and having a chicken jump up on your lap to "sun" with you. Our backyard wouldn't be the same without chickens. Also have to add that Iike knowing what my chickens were fed before I eat their eggs and how old their eggs actually are.

My "other" is that I think it's a good idea to expose my grandchildren to nature and the circle of life. They should know that their food does not come from the supermarket, but a real live animal.

For the love of the hobby of it. All of the reasons others have given are great and great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom