***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have 5 EEs and I think 3 are girls and 2 are boys. I originally bought 10 chicks from Atwood's, 2 barred rocks, 3 GLW, and my EEs, its looking like out of all 10 I only got the 3 girls. I know the pics aren't great but its the best I could do since the are free ranged and hard to catch except for at night when its too dark for pics. I know there are some people who can sex from color patterns so I was hoping even though the pics are bad someone maybe able to tell. Clicking on the pics makes me bigger and easier to see.. just in case you didn't already know that.

I have 5 EEs and I think 3 are girls and 2 are boys. I originally bought 10 chicks from Atwood's, 2 barred rocks, 3 GLW, and my EEs, its looking like out of all 10 I only got the 3 girls. I know the pics aren't great but its the best I could do since the are free ranged and hard to catch except for at night when its too dark for pics. I know there are some people who can sex from color patterns so I was hoping even though the pics are bad someone maybe able to tell. Clicking on the pics makes me bigger and easier to see.. just in case you didn't already know that.

Try taking the pic in the coop at night, use a flash light so the auto focus will work, turn on the flash, you might be surprised at how good the pics will be. I take a lot of especially flower pics at dusk almost dark b/c it really makes the colors pop.

@TRUE5 so sorry for your loss. It's gonna be a hard time here when our favorite passes. They bring us so much happiness.

@MrsDickey I see at least 1 pullet, there are probably more but it's hard for me to see well on my phone.

Guineas are good for ticks right? Will they keep ticks off the dog? We went out to the land we are in the process of buying, harvested a couple pounds of blackberries (seller got 500lbs off the bushes last year) and came back with a tick. I know it's inevitable but want to know what I can do to keep them under control. Also I know there are chiggers out there and chiggers are deadly for chickens right? Will keeping the grass down in the chicken areas keep chiggers away? The spot I'm looking at is always mowed so there should be no chiggers there right?
a chigger infestation can be, which is what happened to Timmy, but if the grass is mowed, that probably isn't an issue, my problem was the grass was waist high- it took our guineas a good year to clear out the ticks, that is ten acres worth, the dogs occasionally bring in ticks if they have been roaming - but very few-

A better picture of one.. I have 2 more pics just having trouble getting them to load.

The swedish blue I rehomed with @subhanalah is now in need of a new home. Any takers? I can help deliver her tonight, I would keep her until we move but I know it would be an issue. She is a talker. Please someone give this sweet girl a home. She will be laying big duck eggs soon.

@subhanalah if you want to add anything to this post please quote me.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words. I didn't think I would get attached to a Chicken lol!

Robin, chiggers, will chickens eat those? We have a blackberry bush and each time I go to pick berries I get bombarded with chigger bites!

Also, anyone know if its bad for wild rabbits to be around chickens? I just didn't know if it's ok or not because our rabbits look wormy and I know they have ticks. They're cute but I don't want them around if they pass of stuff to my flock like rodents.

Back
Top Bottom