Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
LOL What longarm do you have? I have no DH to notice so I have machines everywhere. I have one in my living room pretty 1948 Singer, one in my dining room a 1934 Montgomery Wards made by JUKI, a 1930's Anker (German made and a dream ) and a 1960's New Home in the studio. My youngest kid has my Janome at the moment, the only one that isn't strictly straight stitch. I have a Singer treadle in the spare bedroom and 4 more old singers that each need a part stashed away in various locations.
I have an HQ16 I bought in '08. I have a Brother machine, a Juki, a Janome, the Elna and 2 treadles. I use the Brother and Juki the most and I take the Janome travelling.

love your pieced borders!!

You have inspired me to get my design walls up. I have the materials and they have been waiting for awhile to be put up. They will be foam insulation board covered in white flannel so I can also use pins if I need to. One for a full quilt and another behind my 2 sewing machines for a few blocks.
I saw somewhere (I think it was the Quilt in a Day studio) where they used car headliner fabric over plywood or some such. I just have an oilcloth tablecloth pinned to the wall.

Potato Chip just use a 1/4 inch foot that fits your machine and makes sure it is oiled and the tension is adjusted properly. You can do it. good exercise for your legs. ;)
I'm sure I could do something, if I had any energy or motivation :( The machine I bought is functional, the cabinet top is a bit ratty, but not too bad for its age.
They sell for next to nothing here. There was a time when they were "trendy" as furniture and the prices were higher, now it's hard to find somebody to take them off your hands, although there's the niche market of those who know how good they are and want to preserve them.
I'm not sure whether young people are taught sewing any more? People don't seem to make their own things as much now. All of the cheap things from China means that financial motivations have pretty much gone to make your own things.

I saw somewhere (I think it was the Quilt in a Day studio) where they used car headliner fabric over plywood or some such. I just have an oilcloth tablecloth pinned to the wall.

I've taken some of Eleanor's classes, have a part of a quilt sitting in my closet waiting for me to finish from one of her classes. Definitely not done in a day. ;) One of these days I'll figure it out. LOL . She is dynamic and an inspiration.

Last edited:
The HQ 16 is a fun machine. I've played on them @ some of the big quilt shows.

I LOVE dancing with my machine. I could go back to quilting for others as a job but don't really want to. So hard to quilt some of those awful quilts. Too much time and not enough $$ to do it. I would love to teach but my day job is really demanding so little time. I am certified to teach Pam Clarks methods but like playing with more creative designs. I did make enough to at least pay for my machine.

Last edited:
I remember having to tell a 90+ yo woman that I would have to charge her more to work on her quilts as they were hand pieced so badly that they were dangerous to myself to quilt them. I was almost in tears. Oh my they were awful. I did 2 small quilts of hers that took me more time than 3 kings would have.

Last edited:
And done! Thanks, Cyn for the inspiration!

chevron1.jpg

LOVE the design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's beautiful DuckLady!

Thank you! I am deciding how to quilt it. I want the illusion to be there, so am noodling over that.
I finally came out of my sewing room for a bit. Well, I did have to go to work a couple times, but still....
I have been playing with my longarm, practicing different quilt motifs, upgraded my Electric Quilt program (and playing with different quilt designs) and using the Elna, pieced 3 Jelly Roll Race quilts today. I finally stopped when I realized the machine was hot. I don't want to blow out her motor, so I am giving her a rest the rest of the night. :)
I am upgrading my longarm table to have aluminum tracks, so I will have more stability. I ordered them today and they ship tomorrow. I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom