OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS (OTC) IMPACTED BY NEW FDA PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS INITIATIVE

I could see that, but in quoting you I'm hoping to enlighten those who haven't searched it out.

Ah, gotcha! :) An excellent site that I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone wanting to dust, sprinkle, dose, or force feed ANY unknown substance, to check it first and make 100% INFORMED decisions about if they would be eating this bird and if they wouldn't mind eating the meds, as well ;)

Some of what I've read about Baytril is the  fluoride containing derivatives have high oral availability, and quickly absorbed in the GI tract and widely distributed to the tissues.  Which explains why people use it.  Research has found residues in liver and kidney.  (I'm not okay with that.  I had a loved pet rooster who died of renal damage/failure, of other causes not drug).  Elimination pathways have not been extensively studied in avian species.

http://farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/layinghenseggresidues.pdf

And I requoted it for posterity lol :)

It's like a lot of people use Sevin dust for lice and mites. You can tell people it has a lifetime withdrawal but without providing a link with a credible source to reconsider people are gonna pooh pooh it and continue because they or someone else told them that has used it for years. Now for exhibition birds that eggs and meat are not generally consumed another conclusion may be reached. Just as important as knowing what, when, why and how is knowing what NOT to do and why.

Did everyone also notice that in each of the reports Penicillin and Erythromycin are resistant. Just goes to show that overuse of antibiotics can spell trouble as these two were some of the most often prescribed by doctors for humans at least 20 years ago that I remember.

Did everyone also notice that in each of the reports Penicillin and Erythromycin are resistant. Just goes to show that overuse of antibiotics can spell trouble as these two were some of the most often prescribed by doctors for humans at least 20 years ago that I remember.
I did notice!

-Kathy

Disclaimer: some of you may have seen the link in my sig. Please don't think I'm suggesting people use oxytetracycline or tetracycline. It's in my sig because I wanted those that are going to use it to know how much they're giving. For example, someone was giving 1 teaspoon of Tetroxy 280 thinking it was only 200mg, but they didn't understand that it's more concentrated than terra-vet 10, duramycin 10 and oxytetracyline 10.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom