Puppy sees chickens as toys.

honestly, there are worse things than being humanely euthanized. living a life of pain and suffering, breeding and breeding uncontrollably without regard to health or well-being.

No one would have to know that you called. It could be any of the people who go there to buy feed. Also, mange can be contagious to humans.

dogs left to hunt groundhogs to feed their litter of puppies are not "well taken care of" Breeding indiscriminately with whatever male comes along is also not "well taken care of"
Did you know that dogs get STDs just like humans?
Intact dogs left to roam are also invitations for strays, dog fights, and numerous other problems. If nothing else, slip so information in his mail box about low-cost spay/neuter clinics in his area. Many areas also have programs that provide services based on income.

My mother has asked him before if he planned on spaying or neutering. He said no. If he did do it, it would likely have to be against his will.
I am typically against altering the sexual organs of animals, but I could see how it would be logical in this case. He feeds the dogs, but the mother is like a cat where she just wants to hunt for them. They were not really in pain or suffering until this mange. He may have not been very responsible, but his dogs are happy with their freedom. No one close by has dogs any more that they could fight with. My mother talked him into at least getting the neck treatment for the dogs, if not the sulfur treatment.

Every dog (or all species for that matter) enjoys their freedom but he's being an irresponsible pet owner. Animals are euthanized in shelters every day, many times simply because there's no room due to people not taking the initiative to spay/neuter their pets and they just keep breeding. Eventually they wind up with puppies they can't find homes for. The more people who take his puppies, the more it enables him to continue on with his neglect and pumping out babies every heat his dog goes into isn't healthy for her. Having babies is DRAINING (no matter what species) and she has ZERO time to recover between litters. She is hunting because she's not getting the nutrition she needs not only to sustain herself but for all her puppies. Those puppies get all the nutrition first, even if it means her own body is completely drained to do so. She's not hunting because she wants to...she's hunting because she HAS to just to survive.

When I was growing up, there was a woman in my neighborhood who couldn't afford to spay/neuter her cats and they kept multiplying. Those kittens she couldn't find homes for were drowned in a bucket in the pond that ran behind our houses. It was completely senseless. Even if she had just spayed her females, she could have made a HUGE difference on the cat population, drownings and her wallet.

Back then, there weren't spay/neuter assistance programs for struggling pet owners but they're out there now. Maybe this guy would change his mind if he were made aware of the programs, especially if the money aspect is what's stopping him. And just to reiterate what someone had said before, animal control can absolutely be contacted ANNONOMOUSLY. Animal control wouldn't even know who's reporting.

The energy level is not really what I am having a problem with. I play with her and give her a lot of attention, then we get serious. If I would not take her aside and let her play around first, I bet training her would be very difficult. I do not want her listening to me out of fear, and not becuase she genuinely thinks me a friend and someone who has good advice as to what to do.

The type of mange will determine if it is contagious or not. Demodex mange (one of the more common types of mange in young and immunocompromised dogs) is actually present in the hair follicles of even normal dogs. It's when something else compromises the system that they spread out of control. It is very rare for this type of mite to spread from dog to dog because Demodex canis lives in the hair follicles and cannot live for more than a few minutes in the environment. I think demodex gatoi (gataea? I forget the exact species) is the one exception to this and can be zoonotic. However, if a dog has Demodex canis mange, it did not come from another animal other than a dog. However, litters born that have mange should not be bred not and the female should not be bred again.

Sarcoptic mange caused by scabies is contagious and can be spread to humans. A simple skin scraping can determine the species and type of mange you are dealing with. Scabies can be harder to diagnose though because they burrow into the skin.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see this thread has been cleaned up and back on track with helpful information!

Hopefully the OP is dealing with the Demodex type and not the latter.

Last edited:
The type of mange will determine if it is contagious or not. Demodex mange (one of the more common types of mange in young and immunocompromised dogs) is actually present in the hair follicles of even normal dogs. It's when something else compromises the system that they spread out of control. It is very rare for this type of mite to spread from dog to dog because Demodex canis lives in the hair follicles and cannot live for more than a few minutes in the environment. I think demodex gatoi (gataea? I forget the exact species) is the one exception to this and can be zoonotic. However, if a dog has Demodex canis mange, it did not come from another animal other than a dog. However, litters born that have mange should not be bred not and the female should not be bred again.

Sarcoptic mange caused by scabies is contagious and can be spread to humans. A simple skin scraping can determine the species and type of mange you are dealing with. Scabies can be harder to diagnose though because they burrow into the skin.

Sarcoptic mange can be spread to humans in that the mange mites can and will bite people. However, they CANNOT live and breed on people.

Islandgirl82, as far as ease of treatment, sarcoptic mange is actually quite easy to treat once you know that's what it is. Many topical flea treatments will kill it, with nothing else required. Demodex mange can be tougher because it is a fundamental sensitivity within the dogs immune system.

the mites won't live long on humans and can't reproduce outside of dogs - each scabies mite is host-specific. But the mites can and do spread and bite to different animals. And it can be pretty darn painful. Plus, as long as the dog is infected, the mites will keep reproducing and will constantly be re-infecting the human

The mange is cleared up pretty well. Now I am just working on the training. Even now that she is not chasing, she still will bump into and nip at the two oldest silkie chicks. She tries to make it look like an accident.

Back
Top Bottom