Rabbit chat thread :3

For those who have silver foxes--what age do you start breeding both die and buck. We are also just getting started and have a pair of does just shy of 6months. Now we're looking for a buck.

The breeder we got the does from said they're ready to breed. One of the breeders we spoke to today about a buck said it would be a couple months before they were ready.

I really don't know a bunch about them . I have only had them about 2 months . I do know they are very heat tolerance.and grow fast . I need that . I'm in south Texas . These rabbits were a composite from wild rabbits , nz and altec. And I think one other breed . The breeder I got them from told me the complete history. I forgot most of what he told me .
If the breeder told you there was "wild rabbit" in the mix, he made a mistake. Wild North American rabbits can't be bred to domestic rabbits; it's impossible to get offspring from crossing two such unrelated species. As your link says, your rabbits are a blend of many breeds that was made with production of commercial-type fryers as the sole purpose; even the "good" pelt characteristics were abandoned in the interest of heat tolerance. If they are as advertised and not just somebody's random mutts, they should do well for you. Good luck!

For those who have silver foxes--what age do you start breeding both die and buck. We are also just getting started and have a pair of does just shy of 6months. Now we're looking for a buck.

The breeder we got the does from said they're ready to breed. One of the breeders we spoke to today about a buck said it would be a couple months before they were ready.
I breed mine at about 6 months. Some people do prefer to wait until about 8 months, but I think it's really subjective. IMO, if you're breeding primarily for meat and the does are good sized, 6 months should be fine. If breeding for show, you might want to wait a bit longer.

This thread has discussion about it, too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/143121/anybody-breeding-silver-fox-rabbits.

Thanks!

At this point, the girls are still cloverbuds so we're primarily bout meat. But, we will be showing in the future. We are only going to breed one doe at a time, so we might just find out if there's a difference later between litter/kit size, etc...as I I breed one soon at 6 months, the other will be 8-9 before kindling.

I really don't know a bunch about them . I have only had them about 2 months . I do know they are very heat tolerance.and grow fast . I need that . I'm in south Texas . These rabbits were a composite from wild rabbits , nz and altec. And I think one other breed . The breeder I got them from told me the complete history. I forgot most of what he told me .
Rabbits are great to raise. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Are they pedigreed?

Thanks!

At this point, the girls are still cloverbuds so we're primarily bout meat. But, we will be showing in the future. We are only going to breed one doe at a time, so we might just find out if there's a difference later between litter/kit size, etc...as I I breed one soon at 6 months, the other will be 8-9 before kindling.
You might want to breed 2 does at a time, so you can foster any extra kits.

You might want to breed 2 does at a time, so you can foster any extra kits.

I had considered that, but since we're just starting, we decided one at a time. We also don't have much for space or extra cages for grow-out for multiple litters at a time. One of the big points to choosing silver foxes was the good mama part, so hopefully all will go well. We just picked up our buck tonight!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good scale?

I had considered that, but since we're just starting, we decided one at a time. We also don't have much for space or extra cages for grow-out for multiple litters at a time. One of the big points to choosing silver foxes was the good mama part, so hopefully all will go well. We just picked up our buck tonight!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a good scale?
I get it. Space can be hard. Rabbits can have huge litters, so having two at at time with that many kits can be just plain stressful. How big are you planning to let your rabbit operation get?

Back
Top Bottom