Rabbit chat thread :3

We are kind of taking the wait-and-see approach to see how it goes before expanding. One buck and two does (that way each girl gets her own to care for). I don't know how much of a market there is for selling offspring here, so we are kind of looking at that as a perk if it happens. Family of four, so I think the one doe at a time breeding will still provide plenty of meat.

Only had the does for two days and are already seeing some good responsibility from our girls (6 & 7). One of the does wasn't cooperating with some grooming last night, but we explained to my daughter that she was the mama in this situation and the bun didn't get to get away with not listening. (And she was being gentle with a soft brush, so the doe had no reason to run). The look on my daughter's face when she understood the importance was priceless!

Hey all--question about feeding my silver foxes, so large rabbits. The breeder we got the does from said about a cup per day of pellet feed. So, we have been sticking to that along with a handful of Timothy hay. Thus far, they have gotten only occasional treats such as apple peel (I made pie) and only in small quantities.

Now, we have the girls feed in the morning before school. The feeders are empty by 6 pm. Should I be feeding more? Should I split and feed 2x per day, or is this a normal thing and the half day of no food isn't a problem.

Hey all--question about feeding my silver foxes, so large rabbits. The breeder we got the does from said about a cup per day of pellet feed. So, we have been sticking to that along with a handful of Timothy hay. Thus far, they have gotten only occasional treats such as apple peel (I made pie) and only in small quantities.

Now, we have the girls feed in the morning before school. The feeders are empty by 6 pm. Should I be feeding more? Should I split and feed 2x per day, or is this a normal thing and the half day of no food isn't a problem.
I feed my adult SFs about a cup of 18% protein alfalfa-based pelleted feed a day, in the morning, but they're also on pasture 24/7, so they supplement with grass, leaves, and other forage as they choose. They typically do not finish the pelleted feed by evening.

Are your rabbits maintaining a healthy body condition with the current feeding regimen? This site has a chart showing body condition (for pet rabbits, but still applicable): http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp. If their body condition is good, then your feeding regimen should be fine. If in doubt, rather than offering more pellets, I'd initially try increasing the supplemental hay; you could try doubling or tripling the current amount and see how they respond.

Thanks for the info. I will do some inspecting, and I really need to get a scale too. The pellet food is a 17% protein, and they are in the garage so no access to pasture. I will find out, but I bet they're going to be thrilled to get more hay. I have been checking droppings and those seem to be what they should from what I read.

While I'm asking about food, does anyone use a creep feeder for babies? We just ordered the supplies to make a larger cage for the kindling doe and saw one in the catalog. Didn't order, but have been reading about it.

The mill I purchase feed from does have a 26% protein supplement pellet. Would that be worth picking up for mama and babies?

So you use mostly kitchen style. I have been going back and forth between that and a hanging luggage/fishing type for live weight. Don't know how accurate they are and my kitchen scales are limited to 18oz and 11lb on the larger.

Geez...I meant "shipping", not shopping scale. I've been satisfied with the shipping and the food scales (food scale is smaller and more convenient, but the shipping scale can weigh up to around 150#, I think).

Back
Top Bottom