Russian Orloff Thread

I'm planning to cross Saipan with Orloffs next year as a project breed. I'm wondering if anyone knows a resource on genetic traits and their dominance/recessive nature? I've read articles on colors but not on muffs and beards. I'm hoping to add the trait to the Saipan stature. I want to incorporate a good egg layer also (which i've heard is carried on the male gene) but have yet to decide on which to use. Any advice or experience on what orloffs in your flocks have produced with non-orloffs would be helpful as it might influence what I add to enhance my strain.

I have a few Spangled chicks and am looking very desperately for hatching eggs this spring to improve the line. The downside is I am in Canada so need to find a Canadian seller. Does anyone know of a Canadian breeder that would sell some hatching eggs?

Well, we seem to be having spring in October here. We have babies who I hope are pure Orloff (we keep a mixed flock), and two Silkie hens sitting big mixed clutches. Here are the babies from the clutch our Orloff hen sat.

how adorable :) anytime of the year is good to have baby chickas imo
wee.gif

Happy to see your post!

I recently found one of my Orloff pullets on 19 eggs in a community nest. Was in a bad spot that floods near the creek and got her moved sucessfully. Should be hatching soon but anybodys guess. Nice to see them getting broody.

She just yesterday moved the eggs out of the box and decided she likes this spot better. Whatever she wants!

Last edited:
could you share some pic?
i have spangled orloff and she is my favorite.
love.gif

ive heard that they get lighter after they grow up (or molt?).
hu.gif

anyone know ?

meat birds?

any one have exp with using them for meat?
or good meat crosses?

caf.gif

ty
tammy

Here is a picture of one of our Spangled Russian Orloff Rooster, the other roo is mahogany, he is honestly one of the most devoted to his hens, he even sleeps close with them and sometimes lays down with them while the lay. He has never been aggressive towards adults but when he was younger he did flog my toddler a time or two. He seems to have grown out of it and hasn't ever done it again. We have two hens who only stay with the Russian Orloff rooster. They aren't great layers, their production really slacks off after they turn over a year old and they don't lay large eggs. However they are good forages, cold hardy, friendly and inquisitive, they stick around home and mind fences, they also do not eat he amount of feed other breeds do.They do make some very interesting and amusing sounds for chickens though, my daughter calls them seagull eagles because they can make these odd calls that sound like a combination of both birds screeching at once We kept the breed around because we found crossing them with some of the heavier breeds makes some nice sized, fast growing and very ranging butcher birds. One of his offspring was a cross between him and a light Brahma, it has his exact body shape and size but with the coloring of a light Brahma and feathered legs. We kept him around because he was just too cool to put in the freezer. We got our's from Privett Hatchery but they no longer sell them. Oddly enough we picked these chickens for my parents as a sort of a joke as my maiden name is Ortloff.

omg hes so gorgeous. my pullet has exc & similar color to his. i love the spangling any more success with meat crosses?
any more pic?
yippiechickie.gif

tammy

Back
Top Bottom