Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
The one Siapan rooster I have is nasty to other chickens and dogs and cats. It rode my Yorkie like a pbr bull. He is still young, but is nice with humans.

Per a recent request, I am posting more Saipan photos. The video card on my computer has failed, so I am not sure what the colors are of the birds I am showing here. These are photos from 2012 and 2013. I expect to hatch a limited number in 2014, and have begun selling some of my current stock as I have way too many.

cause I just plain have too many.

Ralph
I would like to know. What weight each younger bird is. And your price or prices. And then if you ship. Just a thought. As I have way too many chickens myself....Thank you Nick in cold snowy New Jersey.

Per a recent request, I am posting more Saipan photos. The video card on my computer has failed, so I am not sure what the colors are of the birds I am showing here. These are photos from 2012 and 2013. I expect to hatch a limited number in 2014, and have begun selling some of my current stock as I have way too many.

cause I just plain have too many.

Will you be selling (and shipping) hatching eggs? Thanks

Have been very busy (too busy) of late, but will try to answer a few questions.

Post # 131 - What is the temperament of Saipans?
Saipan hens can be very calm towards people, but will fight any chickens introduced into their pen, whether it be a rooster or hen.
Saipan roosters can be calm towards people, but without warning can suddenly attack with spurs and beak. I have a five inch scar on my left arm as proof of that. They are not considered. a fighting game breed, but have been used in crossbreeding programs by many folks to add height and strength to their fighting stock. A Saipan rooster will fight other roosters,showing no mercy. Contrary to other breeds I have raised over the years, a Saipan rooster will sometimes fight to the death.

Post # 134 - Weights of younger birds and pricing
My Saipan roosters generally weight around eight to ten pounds at six months of age. I do not ship, but to compensate for that, I have lowered the price of my adult birds to $100 - $175 each, depending upon my opinion of them.

Post # 135 - Will I be selling and shipping hatching eggs?
Due to ongoing health concerns I have decided not to set/hatch any eggs this year. I am working with someone out of state, with hopes that he will take over my flock and continue my work with them. In the past I had chosen not to sell eggs, as there are so many variables involved when shipping eggs, chicks, or adult stock using the U.S.Postal Service. I had thought about selling eggs this year, but I would have to charge a minimum of $100.00 per dozen (shipping included) to make it worth my trouble. Most hobby farmers don't understand that what I have are not hatchery stock but are descendents of the original birds brought from Saipan in the 1940's. Hatchery stock will survive on commercial feed without difficulty. True Saipans cannot digest whole grains such as kernels of corn. A single whole kernel of corn eaten by a true Saipan will most often lodge in their digestive system and not allow subsequent feed to pass through to the digestive system. This is called crop impaction. A bird in this situation can be surrounded by feed, but due to that one kernel of corn will literally starve to death.

Hope this has answered everyone's questions

This IS a very interesting breed! I purchased a couple of chicks last February from my local Ranch and Home store for $10.95 each. I didn't know much about them other than going online to find out what they looked like and how to feed and care for them. I purchased them along with 9 laying hens, a mixture of Light Brown Leghorns and Plymouth Rocks who they grew up with. As they began feathering out it wasn't a mystery that I was the lucky owner of a Saigon cockerel. And lucky I am. He's a real Romeo, and the hens all love him. He coos and woos all day. He's only 5 months old but he's very handsome, expressive, and majestic. He is very friendly to me, comes up and talks to me while I'm doing my chores and follows my chicken watching Standard Poodle and I around as long as we're around. He'll practically sit in my lap while I'm out visiting with the flock. I don't pet him but he loves to get up close and chicken eye me with his big blue eyes. From what I've read, he's probably not the purest specimen of Saigon Jungle Fowl but he's the most beautiful bird I own and the ruler of the roost out there and I love to watch him hanging out with the girls. He is bossy and aggressive to my other flock of heritage/meat chickens but they are kept separate most of the time other than when they are ranging. He ignores them for the most part when they are outside the coop unless they get right in his face.

The hen is very sweet to me too, but she has a flightier temperment than the cockerel and can be quite the aggressor to my other flock of heritage/meat birds. She keeps them out of her territory and will try to pick a fight with the biggest of hens. She loves to chase the younger chickens around. I don't blame her as she's at the bottom of the pecking order with her own flock. She's still so immature in comparison to them it seems. The other hens started laying three weeks ago, but she hasn't shown any signs of doing such. I don't expect her to until next Spring from what I've read.

I didn't purchase them with any goal in mind really. I just think they are beautiful and different so I wanted to give them a loving home and enjoy watching them enjoy life. If they have chicks, so be it. If not, so be it. I love my "little raptors", and plan on keeping them around for a long time. I've got the room and they love to roam and forage the place.

I've learned so much from this thread, thank you all for the rich information. It seems like there are not too many people who are really familiar with this breed and in my many searches I stumbled upon a site not long ago that is all about game and fighting birds where I read some rather interesting things about these and other game birds. I personally don't agree with fighting animals against each other even if it is in their nature or is an ancient sport. I think if humans want to enjoy a fighting sport then they should just get into the ring themselves or go to a boxing or wrestling match. We have a choice, animals don't.

I tried over on the breed discussions to get a opinion about my Siapan rooster. Nobody had one. So I will try here, how does he look?

Last edited:
Have been very busy (too busy) of late, but will try to answer a few questions.

Post # 131 - What is the temperament of Saipans?
Saipan hens can be very calm towards people, but will fight any chickens introduced into their pen, whether it be a rooster or hen.
Saipan roosters can be calm towards people, but without warning can suddenly attack with spurs and beak. I have a five inch scar on my left arm as proof of that. They are not considered. a fighting game breed, but have been used in crossbreeding programs by many folks to add height and strength to their fighting stock. A Saipan rooster will fight other roosters,showing no mercy. Contrary to other breeds I have raised over the years, a Saipan rooster will sometimes fight to the death.

Post # 134 - Weights of younger birds and pricing
My Saipan roosters  generally weight around eight to ten pounds at six months of age. I do not ship, but to compensate for that, I have lowered the price of my adult birds to $100 - $175 each, depending upon my opinion of them.

Post # 135 - Will I be selling and shipping hatching eggs?
Due to ongoing health concerns I have decided not to set/hatch any eggs this year. I am working with someone out of state, with hopes that he will take over my flock and continue my work with them. In the past I had chosen not to sell eggs, as there are so many variables involved when shipping eggs, chicks, or adult stock using the U.S.Postal Service. I had thought about selling eggs this year, but I would have to charge a minimum of $100.00 per dozen (shipping included) to make it worth my trouble. Most hobby farmers don't understand that what I have are not hatchery stock but are descendents of the original birds brought from Saipan in the 1940's. Hatchery stock will survive on commercial feed without difficulty. True Saipans cannot digest whole grains such as kernels of corn. A single whole kernel of corn eaten by a true Saipan will most often lodge in their digestive system and not allow subsequent feed to pass through to the digestive system. This is called crop impaction. A bird in this situation can  be surrounded by feed, but due to that one kernel of corn will literally starve to death.

Hope this has answered everyone's questions

Back
Top Bottom