Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
They DO get really big but depending on the source and breeder, it can vary widely. They do also grow very slowly to full height. It can take 2-3 years to reach their max. I got mine from Ideal, but from all that I've read, very few hatcheries OR breeders have true, pure Saipans. They are apparently interbred with Malay and Shamo, which are more common. Regardelss, I don't care. I love mine. Had gotten them originally to assist protecting the handful of turkeys and hens I allow to freerange from predators (here, it's usually ravens and occasional hawks), but not I really love them and am surprised by how friendly and confident they already are. :)

My Saipan roo stands 24" tall at 17 weeks old. I use the 4" squares on the fence to measure their height so I can do so accurately and in a natural position from him (I get down to their level) and although my Malay at the same age have masculine neck and back feathers, the Saipan does not which makes me believe he is still very much growing. The females only stand about 19 inches right now.

Cherie,

Where did you get your Saipans from? I know Cackle also carries them, besides, Ideal but Cackle's prices are 3X Ideal's on them. Not that that would matter if the quality is better. But not sure if it is or not. Am hoping to find a true Saipan breeder in the future to add some quality to our gene pool since I'm smitten with these birds and really do think there's a market for them as flock protectors. A lot of folks in NM free range during the day but the ravens are a huge issue more than any other predator and it seems like Saipans will take care of that business. :)

Wendy

Cherie,

Where did you get your Saipans from? I know Cackle also carries them, besides, Ideal but Cackle's prices are 3X Ideal's on them. Not that that would matter if the quality is better. But not sure if it is or not. Am hoping to find a true Saipan breeder in the future to add some quality to our gene pool since I'm smitten with these birds and really do think there's a market for them as flock protectors. A lot of folks in NM free range during the day but the ravens are a huge issue more than any other predator and it seems like Saipans will take care of that business. :)

Wendy
do ravens stay away because of the size of saipans ? or are saipans naturally aggressive towards ravens?

Back
Top Bottom