sebright thread

I'm already known as "the chicken lady," so adding the word "crazy" in front of my title wouldn't matter much around here.

Kids and chickens work well together. When my kids were reluctant to read, a hen in the lap did wonders. A supply of old towels is essential when one has pets. Just lay one across a lap and you're good. Also, only chicks poop on people. The adults are used to being held & can hold it in. When they start standing up, they're getting in position to poop. That's the time they need to go back out.

I guess I should also mention that many of our hens are trained & visit schools with me. I help the schools hatch eggs and teach during their spring incubation & embryology units. Our chickens have gone trick-or-treating, been in a parades, done school assemblies, been in newspapers, etc.

No names yet, but I think I will call one of the girls Sue. Lol thanks for reminding me

When he hears me coming he crows his head off. Tomorrow I am going to try to video him. Last time i took my phone down there he was quiet.

I am thinking of letting them out of the pen and letting them join general population.

I took him out for a a little bit and set him on the roost and he immediately flew down and ran back to his pen. He wanted back in.

Well this morning i went into the coop and let the sebrights out. Instant chaos. Nobody attacked anyone just everyone flying and running around.
I saw the guineas pecking the floor and I noticed fresh blood on the floor. The drops were real fresh.

The guineas and ALL the chicks went into a frenzy pecking the floor at the blood.

It was confined to one area and it appears it just started so I tried to find out who was bleeding. I happened to see one of my girls make a bloody footprint and scooped her up.

It was one of my whiting true blues. She was bleeding on her foot. I guess you would call it in the cuticle area. Where the claw comes out. Seems in all the chaos she hurt her claw.

I got her out of there before the others realized it was her bleeding and took her into the house. Rinsed her foot and put a bandaid on it. It appears to have

stopped bleeding but Im gonna keep her in for a while amd out of the coop

20190719_102738.jpg
20190719_102742.jpg

Her lucky day as today down in Tennessee the heat index is over 100 and shes in the AC watching gunsmoke. Being there was an injury this does not count as "movie night" like that "crazy chicken lady" LOL

Just teasing couldnt resist

View attachment 1849871
You may tell yourself that, but when your pullet is inside with A/C & TV, that's one pampered pet chicken!
:lau

Speaking of pampered poultry, DD is finishing up on a 4H project and needed a photo of one of the pullets involved. (We didn't have a recent pic for her to use on the poster.) We're currently under all sorts of heat advisories and it feels well over 100'F. The poor chicken kept panting and running for the shade, so we had to bring her inside to cool off for the photo.

I didn't want a background of our house clutter on display at the fair, so we used a black blanket on a chair for the background. Here's our Blue's glamour shots.
IMG_8573 copy.jpg

OK, so she's not as pretty & showy like a Sebright, but she did get to enjoy some A/C and treats during the process. (It made me think of you @Joev1973 !)

.... and also @SueT and her amazing photo backdrop!

Next time, I'll have to get extra lighting and a fan so the model can get the "wind blowing through her feathers" look.

Speaking of pampered poultry, DD is finishing up on a 4H project and needed a photo of one of the pullets involved. (We didn't have a recent pic for her to use on the poster.) We're currently under all sorts of heat advisories and it feels well over 100'F. The poor chicken kept panting and running for the shade, so we had to bring her inside to cool off for the photo.

I didn't want a background of our house clutter on display at the fair, so we used a black blanket on a chair for the background. Here's our Blue's glamour shots.
View attachment 1850731

OK, so she's not as pretty & showy like a Sebright, but she did get to enjoy some A/C and treats during the process. (It made me think of you @Joev1973 !)

.... and also @SueT and her amazing photo backdrop!

Next time, I'll have to get extra lighting and a fan so the model can get the "wind blowing through her feathers" look.
I think she's very pretty!
I have used neutral color T-shirts for backdrops too. Put it across the back wall of the brooder:
a t shirt backdrop.jpg

But my favorite backdrop is green grass and plants only available with free ranging.....
a grassy backdrop.jpg a natural backdrop.jpg

Sebrights no eggs yet, 6 of my 20 hens started laying, the sebrights nothing yet. Not sure on their exact age but when i bought them the breeder said "should see eggs in a few weeks". The rooster is doing his job but not seeing any eggs. Also their combs dont appear to be full yet. Im thinking bc its winter? Even though im in the south & winters is 50 degrees average.

Back
Top Bottom