sebright thread

Pics
Yes they do require different settings. I weigh mine to make sure they have correct humidity to hatch. After 18 years of hatching them, I have found that to be the most fail proof. Depending on the weightsi usually run them dry until hatching time, then get the humidity as high as possible 80% so they hatch out. After the external pip.important not to do that too soon.
They usually run about 80-90% fertile and out of that most of them hatch.
Hens are even better so long as they are not so big they crush the small eggs.
a man in the Uk has used pigeons to hatch themwith great success.

Thank you so much for this info. I put 20 eggs in the bator last week. Humidity is running 25%. Does that sound about right? Please explain the weighing system that you use to me. Thanks

I found it in a poultry magazine some time ago but you can also find it here under "a guide to humidity, weighing, and lockdown " enjoy and apply and you will have better hatches!

Mine are at 40% currently but I will weigh them tonight and adjust accordingly. Our climate is probably more humid than yours.

Last edited:
I run my Bantam eggs at 50% until lockdown, then 80% afterwards, and do lockdown on Bantams at day 17, instead of 18, and have doubled my hatch rate. This was told to me by a Bantam raiser that does the same. Worked for her for decades, and has improved my percentage, a good bit.

As for aggressive 'Brights, mine get more aggressive as they age. My 2 year-old Golden spurs me constantly, so long as the hens are present. He calms when he snatch his lil butt up and acrry him around. My hands are always a spurred bloody mess from the lil boogers. hehe I consider it my dues for having such pretty little protective roos.

About the hens with comb leaders; I have never seen a hen with a leader. Is that common? I have only seen that from roos and cockerels, and they usually start to pop a leader out at around 8-10 weeks. I also had a lil roo throw a straight comb, on me, this past clutch. He's a Golden and has a very tall straight comb, at about 12 weeks.

Additionally, I have 2 lil cockerels that are every bit of 14" tall after hatching on 20 March. Their clutchmates (that I gave to a friend at about 2 months) are half their size. All came from Cackle Hatchery, but I feed starter/grower until about 5-6 months, and my friend stops at 10 weeks. Is this what's causing my Bantams to be so large? I also have Phoenix Bantams that are tall, slender cockerels that are almost as tall as a standard. Same feeding habits.

I run my Bantam eggs at 50% until lockdown, then 80% afterwards, and do lockdown on Bantams at day 17, instead of 18, and have doubled my hatch rate. This was told to me by a Bantam raiser that does the same. Worked for her for decades, and has improved my percentage, a good bit.

As for aggressive 'Brights, mine get more aggressive as they age. My 2 year-old Golden spurs me constantly, so long as the hens are present. He calms when he snatch his lil butt up and acrry him around. My hands are always a spurred bloody mess from the lil boogers. hehe I consider it my dues for having such pretty little protective roos.

About the hens with comb leaders; I have never seen a hen with a leader. Is that common? I have only seen that from roos and cockerels, and they usually start to pop a leader out at around 8-10 weeks. I also had a lil roo throw a straight comb, on me, this past clutch. He's a Golden and has a very tall straight comb, at about 12 weeks.

Additionally, I have 2 lil cockerels that are every bit of 14" tall after hatching on 20 March. Their clutchmates (that I gave to a friend at about 2 months) are half their size. All came from Cackle Hatchery, but I feed starter/grower until about 5-6 months, and my friend stops at 10 weeks. Is this what's causing my Bantams to be so large? I also have Phoenix Bantams that are tall, slender cockerels that are almost as tall as a standard. Same feeding habits.
Hens should have leaders on their combs, though they are significantly smaller than a cock's.

I was just out this afternoon with some 8 week old cockerels and they are (surprisingly) sweet little things. Haven't been aggressive towards me, though I see them raising hackles at each other regularly. I did have a little 4 week old chick challenge my foot today
roll.png
Then it had the gall to stand up to the same 8 week olds ha! By the size of its comb I'm sure it's a cockerel.

Being from Cackle Hatchery is what's causing your bantams to be so large. Feed may make some minor difference in final size [usually poor feeding makes smaller birds] but genetics determines size. I've seen several bantams from Cackle & other hatcheries. All were much too large. Actually the ones I've seen from Ideal were the worst.
I feed a 22% protein grower feed for the entire life of my birds. My bantams don't get too big. Feed isn't your problem.
The fact is you won't gey good representatives of any breed, bantam or large fowl, from a hatchery.

Being from Cackle Hatchery is what's causing your bantams to be so large. Feed may make some minor difference in final size [usually poor feeding makes smaller birds] but genetics determines size. I've seen several bantams from Cackle & other hatcheries. All were much too large. Actually the ones I've seen from Ideal were the worst.
I feed a 22% protein grower feed for the entire life of my birds. My bantams don't get too big. Feed isn't your problem.
The fact is you won't gey good representatives of any breed, bantam or large fowl, from a hatchery.
I agree, but the pair that I gave my friend, are half the size of their clutchmates. That was why I was posing the question. Why are they so much smaller? The only difference is that he stops feeding starter/grower at 10 weeks.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Last edited:
I have 2 16 week old Golden Sebright pullets (I think) that I need to sell. I got these guys in with a group of cochin banties as my first chicks. They aren't show quality I'm sure, what would be a fair price to ask for them? They arent hatchery birds

I have 2 16 week old Golden Sebright pullets (I think) that I need to sell. I got these guys in with a group of cochin banties as my first chicks. They aren't show quality I'm sure, what would be a fair price to ask for them? They arent hatchery birds

I'd say 4-5 dollars a piece. If they're pets I'd say about 8 ish. But that's just me. Sold a 10 week old GLS cockerel for 5 last week.

Back
Top Bottom