sebright thread

Well my sebright roo died Thursday. Have a feeling one of my standards killed him.
But just don't know. I've never seen any of them actually fighting , just a peck on the butt now and then. He appeared to have a broken neck.
Goin to miss him.

Oh my gosh, not another loss! I am so sorry. The little guys are pretty bold. I have some Buff laced chicks and the boys are only 7 weeks and sparring and trying to crow! Wish you were closer. I cannot have the boys and they have to go soon.

sad.png

Hi all!
I'm interested in getting some sebrights. I have a few questions.
How small are they?
Do they lay everyday?
Are they broody?
How many breeds are there?
If I keep them with dual purpose large fowl, will the large fowl kill them?
Are they predator resistant?
Are they good for free range?
Thanks!!

I have one sebright roo with 7 large fowl
He is black and white. Hes very small but i believe hes top of rooster peck order with 2 barnies and 1 buckeye I acquired him at 4 months old from another mixed flock with his sibling. I think they are fairly hearty birds sure are entertaining but ive heard very hard to raise/hatch. Also he free ranges and is faster to alert the whole gang to hawks owls etc

Last edited:
Hi all!
How small are they?
Do they lay everyday?
Are they broody?
Thanks!!

Sebrights are the second smallest breed of chicken in the world. They come in mostly two main colors, Silver Laced and Gold Laced. They lay few eggs and hardly ever go broody. There is no large version of a Sebright. They are very flighty birds with lots of attitude, kind of like Chihuahuas.

Last edited:
My sebright doesn't share the treats with his girls, he's a little greedy. He's not really old enough yet to know manners (18 weeks) but do you think he will learn in time? He doesn't crow yet.

Hi all!
How small are they?
Do they lay everyday?
Are they broody?
Thanks!!

SOP calls for them to be less than 20 oz. They are not good layers or brooders. They can be difficult to raise. I have a great broodie girl and still lost 2 out of 4 chicks. If you want to raise them read up on their fertility issues. Once grown, I think they are plenty tough.

The Silver (black and white) and Gold (black and gold) are most common. Lately a line of Buff (cream and buff) have been developed. I have Silver and Buff Laced Sebrights. They seem to be fine free ranging and aware of predators. Keep in mind they have small bodies and big wings - they can fly away if you don't keep them happy.

They abound with attitude and crack me up every day.

Mine are named Maleficent and Grimhilde - guess why!!

Success at last! After trying to incubate and hatch Sebrights since June I have finally got two chicks to survive. I hatched out a bunch, but they all died a within a week of hatching. My last batch of eggs for the year hatched last week. I actually forgot about the eggs and never put them into lockdown so only 2 of 8 chicks piped. They were shrink wrapped, so I broke them out and washed them off. I truly did not expect them to make it. Their toes were crooked, so I had to tape them up. Because of this I kept them in the incubator and did not move them to the brooder. Both of them are doing fine and their feet have straightened right out. All my other sebright chicks died after I moved them to the brooder, so now I am thinking that sebright chicks need to be kept in the incubator a lot longer the regular chicks. I think I will keep them in the incubator for 3 weeks before moving them to the brooder just in case.

How are those babies doing? Wanna see pics!

Hello! I have rscsntly Got me a pair of 6-7 month old Gold Sebrights and I'll have to agree with the tude. My rooster is a swwet thing though,he only gets crabby when his girl and I snuggle ;) I need to weigh them but I believe they are under 20 oz. My rooster has a slight be (very little can be hardly notice) white in his earlobs,minus that he is perfect (for a sebright that is!) so he should be good for breeding yes? My hen is k look wise.

Hello! I have rscsntly Got me a pair of 6-7 month old Gold Sebrights and I'll have to agree with the tude. My rooster is a swwet thing though,he only gets crabby when his girl and I snuggle ;) I need to weigh them but I believe they are under 20 oz. My rooster has a slight be (very little can be hardly notice) white in his earlobs,minus that he is perfect (for a sebright that is!) so he should be good for breeding yes? My hen is k look wise.[/quote

Feel free to post some pics of them... That would be helpful, I think we all like pictures!:)

Back
Top Bottom