sebright thread

There were some really nice sebrights at the poultry congress in MA this weekend. I like the buffs but there weren't any this year. Not sure who's these are but here's a couple pics

Last edited:
Do you guys keep your sebrights separate from the rest of your flock due to size? I have a Chocolate Orphington rooster that they have been kept with, he acts like their mother. Just not sure if he's too big once he starts mating. Kinda hard to tell his actual size bc he's so fluffy with feathers lol

Do you guys keep your sebrights separate from the rest of your flock due to size? I have a Chocolate Orphington rooster that they have been kept with, he acts like their mother. Just not sure if he's too big once he starts mating. Kinda hard to tell his actual size bc he's so fluffy with feathers lol

I would be very careful having any standard roo with bantam hens. If they're constantly free ranging or have a giant coop/run then the hens may have plenty of hiding spots but otherwise I woyldnt do it. I had an Americauna Roo with a flock of 10 or so including a couple bantams and it wasn't nice once he matured. I separated quickly after he started chasing them around

My Seabright hen rules the bantam coop. Don't tell her she is the smallest thing in there. I wouldn't risk her with a LF Orp though.

Good to know. I'll come up with something to separate them, like fencing so he can still see them etc. thanks

Good Morning all! hope everyone has a wonderful wednesday!

My sebright is my only bantam, and is getting picked on by my standard size girlies. I am hoping to get her a couple of bantam buddies... and am looking for sebrights... however, i am having trouble finding sebrights close to her age.

Do you think that she would bond with any bantam breed? or is it really 'birds of a feather'?

I would like to know your thoughts/experiences!

thanks so much!

[COLOR=333333]Good Morning all! hope everyone has a wonderful wednesday![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]My sebright is my only bantam, and is getting picked on by my standard size girlies. I am hoping to get her a couple of bantam buddies... and am looking for sebrights... however, i am having trouble finding sebrights close to her age. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Do you think that she would bond with any bantam breed? or is it really 'birds of a feather'? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I would like to know your thoughts/experiences![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]thanks so much![/COLOR]

How old is she? IMO hard to say. I have had new chickens get along just fine after having an introduction phase (separated with fencing) and then I have had chickens not get along at all no matter what. But for the most part I have had newbies fit in just fine. I would just find her bantams similar in size, or at least fully feathered. Separated them but so they still have interaction for awhile, then see how it goes from there. But that's just my experience. Maybe someone else will chime in

How old is she? IMO hard to say. I have had new chickens get along just fine after having an introduction phase (separated with fencing) and then I have had chickens not get along at all no matter what. But for the most part I have had newbies fit in just fine. I would just find her bantams similar in size, or at least fully feathered. Separated them but so they still have interaction for awhile, then see how it goes from there. But that's just my experience. Maybe someone else will chime in
My sebright will be 1 year old at the beginning of March. I'm hoping that she will feel more included with some more birds her size/age.

Back
Top Bottom