sebright thread

I know what you are saying as the Hen's get older they do get a comb like your little one. A good quality sebright should have a dark redish black walnut comb. It is not uncommon for they to have red single comb (mainly hatchery stock). A pale comb can be a couple of thing's poor breeding, young, sick or lacking something from their feed. With the age of your (8weeks)and coming from a feed store. I would say it has more to do with poor breeding and age has to do with it's size and coloring.

Yeah, I also always felt Atilla was the more fragile of the two and I fussed over him obsessively. I kept them in the brooder until they were over a month old and coddled them with eggs and oatmeal and vitamins and probiotics etc. They both have a double comb but Serenity has far better lacing and a much redder comb. Was kinda hoping one could be female as I'm worried about fighting but I'm pretty confident they will do ok. I just wish my feisty barred rock pullet who thinks she's the rooster would stop cockfighting them and picking on them, I have to keep them in their own section of the run and the coop, poor babies. They are so sweet and never bother anyone. The sad part is when they cry
Wanting to roost with the others even though they know Lydia beats them up

Last edited:

This is my 5 week old seabright chick. I know a lot of people on here are able to tell sex by the size of the comb....what does everyone think?

Thanks

I have an 8 week old golden sebright (who shares a tractor with a OEGB) that I want to integrate with two 8 week old Swedish flower hens after their month quarantine is up. I've heard how vicious sebright a are and can kill a LF. I keep them in a tractor because of the bad predator issues we have here and it is moved daily. What is the best way to go about it? I was thinking perhaps after quarantine is up, I will put the bantams in the quarantine pen with the new girls overnight and maybe for a day or so and see how they do. Thought it would be best to take the bantams out of their territory instead of bringing the new girls to the tractor. I can get a small dog crate inside the tractor but it would be a bit cramped for the SFH I think.

What would be best here. I've also read about putting the new hens in the coop at night. Pretty sure they'd notice the new girls by morning though. (I have a stagecoach tractor).
Thanks for the thoughts

I was thinking that too! I really hope it is as we can't keep roos.
here is a picture of one of my roos (on left) and a hen (on right) when they were close to 5weeks. If you click on it you can zoom in and see is comb is coming in nicely already.
close to 5weeks old

Last edited:
So recent pics of our growing babies and of course, our Bonnie!

Bonnie and one of her babies who's almost as big as she is!

Bonnie and her babies!

Hello, I have a golden Sebright Roo and a Silver Sebright Pullet. What kind of offspring would be produced from a silver and a golden?

I *believe* the offspring would be sex linked. I have sex-linked sebrights that I purchased from a hatchery, mine are both gold. They were sex linked and their chicks are as well.
I'm not 100% sure that your particular cross will produce these results, hopefully somebody with more sebright breeding experience will shed some light on the topic.

Hello, I have a golden Sebright Roo and a Silver Sebright Pullet. What kind of offspring would be produced from a silver and a golden?
I havent done it, but I have been told by several genetic gurus that they are sex link. The male chicks will be the color of the hen and the female chicks will be the color of the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom