sebright thread

I can't wait until he starts crowing. :pop
I'm sure he will!

My 3 yr old Sebright hen lets out an occasional crow. She's a vocal little thing (in a flock of giant orpingtons). She makes all sorts of gibberish sounds when upset & her cute crows tend to happen when she's warning about a possible threat or really upset about something.

I have a sebright bantam pullet, she hasn't laid an egg since Sunday and last night I noticed her comb is now more pink than red. Anyone else have theirs stop laying recently? I'm in OH and IDK if it's the shorter days, or colder weather that has her stopped. We're down to about 10.5 - 11 hrs of sunlight a day now.

I'm sure he will!

My 3 yr old Sebright hen lets out an occasional crow. She's a vocal little thing (in a flock of giant orpingtons). She makes all sorts of gibberish sounds when upset & her cute crows tend to happen when she's warning about a possible threat or really upset about something.
I have fifteen chickens and those are my only 2 bantams. They are only about 3 mths so I'm thinking I got a lil more time until he starts. He does chirp all day long. She doesn't make any sounds yet

I have a sebright bantam pullet, she hasn't laid an egg since Sunday and last night I noticed her comb is now more pink than red. Anyone else have theirs stop laying recently? I'm in OH and IDK if it's the shorter days, or colder weather that has her stopped. We're down to about 10.5 - 11 hrs of sunlight a day now.
For the past 2 years mine has gone broody in early fall & by the time the chicks left in Oct, she was already finished laying for the winter. So, she tends to stop in Sept & start back up in late Feb. I would guess they're just not winter layers.

@Faraday40 How often do these lay? I've read some conflicting things about this breed. Some say often and then some say hardly at all. I was actually thinking about trying to hatch these instead of just eating the eggs. Is it hard to hatch these because of their size?

Thanks! Some of my other ladies randomly stopped laying, but then started back up a little while later but this seemed different. I assume her comb will get red again before she starts back up.

Mine was laying 5-6 eggs a week since mid July, but just stopped. I'd read they only lay 52 eggs a year, but if they only lay for 6 months or so a year then it still doesn't add up b/c based on the lower average of what mine was laying, she still laid ~70 eggs this year and she didn't even lay the entire "year". But I assume some may lay more, some may lay less. I only have one of her so it's probably not much of a comparison.

@Faraday40 How often do these lay? I've read some conflicting things about this breed. Some say often and then some say hardly at all. I was actually thinking about trying to hatch these instead of just eating the eggs. Is it hard to hatch these because of their size?
Many people say Sebrights seldom go broody, but mine is chick crazy and hatches about 2-3xs per year. She then mothers her chicks for another 6-8 weeks. Her LF orp chicks are always 3xs her size by the time she leaves them. She's a good little layer when not broody, caring for chicks or in winter. Subtracting all of those times leaves about 3-4 months of great laying - up to 6 eggs per week!

In other words, Sebrights can't read so they don't follow any set rules. Perhaps if mine didn't go broody then she'd be a great layer.

Back
Top Bottom