sebright thread

While surfing the internet I found a posting of kiddie pools. I put 2 of them together while also giving them raised areas along with a box for a hut and all is better. They not only have more room but also can see a lot more of their surroundings which means the Sebrights aren't so skittish. The flock is well but I do think that one of the larger Sebrights is either having feathers that are bothering it around its neck or might have neurological issues. So I am watching closely along with consistently checking its ears, throat and symptoms. Ahhhhhh, stressed!

I read yet another Sebright description & it claimed that Sebrights don't go broody. HaHaHaHa
:gig

Here's what Trouble looked like this morning when I told her about it.
IMG_2412.JPG

She's the proud mama of 5 Orpington chicks.

I read yet another Sebright description & it claimed that Sebrights don't go broody. HaHaHaHa

View attachment 1534424

Moonshine goes broody once a month! Without fail! Just released her from 2 days and nights in broody jail yesterday evening....I just HOPE she's not in a nest this morning......

View attachment 1534424

She looks so serious. I have one Sebring and she tried to go broody earlier this summer and I was considering letting her have a couple eggs so I moved her to a different nest and she decided it wasn't worth her time to pursue motherhood. I find the those breed things can be wrong. One said that leghorns were cold hardy & based on my experience with a leghorn rooster in Northeast Ohio last winter they are not and they should not be sold up north.

Our Sebright (Trouble) has survived some of our arctic blasts with temps going down to -40'F at night. Not the norm - but it happens a couple times per year. I was told they may need heat in our climate, but she figured out how to snuggle between the big, fat, fluffy orps. We just hatched a Leghorn this spring. I hope she can follow Trouble's example & find the warmest spots to sleep.

As far as the broodiness, Trouble's a "medium". She's not perpetually broody like a silkie, but 2-3 xs per year she decides to become a very determined mama.
She's definitely a "S-mother"
I find it especially amusing when she tries to cover her 3.5 wk old LF orp chicks & they're already the same size as she is.
IMG_2573 copy.jpg
IMG_2588 copyb.jpg

She also stays with them for 8 weeks or more. By then they're 3xs her size, but she's persistent & vocal so they always obey.

Okay guys.....I'm so excited!!! I get to join the ranks of you all as a breeder of Sebrights!! (If one chick counts)

I purchased a pair of Silver Sebright back in the Spring at a Show. Dispite infertility problems on their eggs for the past three months, I am finally getting development from eggs and today I hatched a chick. I have two other eggs that showing signs of development.

I was warned by several Sebright breeders that this breed is known for the infertility and then the fragileness of the chicks. Thanks for addressing the finely processed chick feed in previous posts, I'm going to try that for my new little one. If anyone else has any ideas to help, please share your experiences.

Love the Sebrights!!

Claudia
Glad you mentioned this. My one-year-old Sebright has never laid an egg. She's had abdominal x-rays and no eggs were detected. Is primary infertility (never laying an egg) a thing with hens? Thanks in advance!

Glad you mentioned this. My one-year-old Sebright has never laid an egg. She's had abdominal x-rays and no eggs were detected. Is primary infertility (never laying an egg) a thing with hens? Thanks in advance!

Maybe she’s just taking a while to mature?

Our trio of golden sebrights didn’t begin to lay until they were about a year old!

Maybe it is a thing....
My 2 yr old Sebright is a good layer who started very young. However, I have a D'Uccle hen raised w her, who has never laid an egg as far as I know. She's also 2 yrs. The D'Uccle seems in good health so I just accept that she doesn't lay eggs.
Sunny and Moonshine.png

Here is Henrietta or is it Henry? It's just about 6 weeks old now and I was hoping for some opinions, cockerel or pullet. I am really hoping for pullet but I can see the signs...

There is definitely some red coming through now in the comb, but there is still some black on the comb too, near the beak. Picked it out at tractor supply in the bantam bin.
100_4614.JPG
100_4616.JPG
100_4617.JPG

Here is Henrietta or is it Henry? It's just about 6 weeks old now and I was hoping for some opinions, cockerel or pullet. I am really hoping for pullet but I can see the signs...

There is definitely some red coming through now in the comb, but there is still some black on the comb too, near the beak. Picked it out at tractor supply in the bantam bin. View attachment 1770820 View attachment 1770822 View attachment 1770823
I think, in Sebrights, getting red on comb and wattles that young means he's a cockerel. I just have the one, a hen, and she didn't even have a comb or wattles until several months old.

Back
Top Bottom