sebright thread

Thanks. I've been looking throughthem for weeks - ha ha! I posted thesesame pics on another thread and got replies that Picotee is a boy for sure. I can keep roos, but I have hens enough for one roo only, and I'm thinking one of my Silkies is a boy. I have 2 Silkies, so I can compare them. Only one Sebright, so I needed additional opinions.

Don't know how I'd be able to choose between them, but I think it'd be easier to rehome a Sebright. My area is inundated with Silkie roos!

Another pic of proud mama Moonshine and babies--now I'm hoping she has at least 2 girls--rehoming cockerels hard here too:
7-6 hen + chicks.jpg

Here's Moonshine at 4.5 weeks:
View attachment 1838649@Faraday40 , how is Trouble doing with her 20 babies? She must be more tolerant than Moonshine, who abandoned a late hatching egg, and would not, under any circumstances, accept that chick which I tried to give back when it was just hours old.
Now, 3 weeks later, the orphan is in an adjoining pen, and she attacks it thru the mesh at every opportunity. My only hope is that the siblings will get to know it.
View attachment 1838658

Trouble & chicks are doing well. We sold a couple chicks, so she's down to 18. She's a fierce little bird. She really dislikes it when our dog comes out to use the lawn. She tries to attack him through the baby gate panels. (It's a make shift chicken tractor to allow them some safe grass time.)

Searching high and low for a breeding pair in Tennessee.

We saw 2 stunning pictures yesterday of goldens and must have a pair. The problem is the hatcheries make you buy a minimum of 15. I already have 20 chicks and 8 guineas back there. If i bought the minimim 15 birds i would have 43 lol. Cant do that. But i do want a pair. Searching the poultry groups fingers crossed we find a couple.

Here are the pics that blew us away
chicken-portrait-book-monti-tranchellini-24.jpg
seabright-breed.jpg

These are the birds we want and wont give up untill we get a pair!!

Searching high and low for a breeding pair in Tennessee.

We saw 2 stunning pictures yesterday of goldens and must have a pair. The problem is the hatcheries make you buy a minimum of 15. I already have 20 chicks and 8 guineas back there. If i bought the minimim 15 birds i would have 43 lol. Cant do that. But i do want a pair. Searching the poultry groups fingers crossed we find a couple.

Here are the pics that blew us away
View attachment 1844523 View attachment 1844522

These are the birds we want and wont give up untill we get a pair!!
You mean hatcheries have a minimum if you mail order? We have hatcheries near us that let you buy any amt. you want, (pick up) but maybe shipping is different. Estes hatchery let me buy 2, Cackle let me buy 4, neither said there was a minimum. There's one called Heartland that charges more if you get a small amt. All these are in driving distance of us. We have a feed store where I bought one chick to be a buddy to an orphan. But you probably need to get 4 or even 5 to be guaranteed a pair since they are sold unsexed. Once I got 5 unsexed chicks and 3 were males, and another time, I got 2 unsexed and both were female.
We have poultry swaps in our area as well.

Last edited:
You mean hatcheries have a minimum if you mail order? We have hatcheries near us that let you buy any amt. you want, (pick up) but maybe shipping is different. Estes hatchery let me buy 2, Cackle let me buy 4, neither said there was a minimum. There's one called Heartland that charges more if you get a small amt. All these are in driving distance of us. We have a feed store where I bought one chick to be a buddy to an orphan. But you probably need to get 4 or even 5 to be guaranteed a pair since they are sold unsexed. Once I got 5 unsexed chicks and 3 were males, and another time, I got 2 unsexed and both were female.
We have poultry swaps in our area as well.

I had a recent poultry swap no Sebrights. I looked at cackle and murry mcmurray both have 15 bird minimum. Last night found some that have 20 bird minimums. I will look at heartland. I think minimum is for shipping and bodyheat purposes

I had a recent poultry swap no Sebrights. I looked at cackle and murry mcmurray both have 15 bird minimum. Last night found some that have 20 bird minimums. I will look at heartland. I think minimum is for shipping and bodyheat purposes
The last hatchery purchase I made, I found a friend who wanted chickens, so we split the order because the minimum was 15, and I only wanted 3.

HOWEVER - be careful when ordering bantams! The order we got was a mix of LF and bantams, and ALL of the bantams died either in shipping or shortly after arrival due to shipping stress. The hatchery swore to us that it's fine shipping the 2 sizes together, but I wouldn't do it again, personally.

I hope you find your Sebrights! They are lovely birds!

Back
Top Bottom