September Hatch-A-Long

I AMA grandmother!!! My hen just hatched a chick! I am so excited...this is my first. I have 2 hens and 1 rooster. Henny Penny (mom) has been sitting for weeks and this morning I hear the little chick. I live in Arkansss so our weather is mild...70's in the days and 50's at night. Now what to do?
Do I leave the chick with the others or bring it in my house to grow? I am obviously a novice! My chicken are Bantams.
Thanks for any advise......

If mama's a good mama, then leave the chick with her. Otherwise you'll be dealing with a broody again, and no chick should be raised as an only without other chicken company.

If mama's a good mama, then leave the chick with her.  Otherwise you'll be dealing with a broody again, and no chick should be raised as an only without other chicken company.
X2

I had a bantam cochin raise a single chick and she was great at it. That little pullet was tucked under her up until the day she was bigger than mom because she's a LF bird and mom isn't. 50 degrees should be no problem for mom to keep the chick warm so long as her area is sheltered and she has a densely bedded best box to snuggle into.

Oh, my. One of the girls from the first batch (hatched the 29th of August...ambitious chicks were scheduled for the 1st) just clucked! Not a chick voice, but an actual cluck! I'd better get the coop finished. Would hate to have my inadvertent house chickens lay an egg without a nest.

(Coop in progress...should be finished this weekend and move-in ready by Tuesday)

Big hole is where nest box will be

Oh, my. One of the girls from the first batch (hatched the 29th of August...ambitious chicks were scheduled for the 1st) just clucked! Not a chick voice, but an actual cluck! I'd better get the coop finished. Would hate to have my inadvertent house chickens lay an egg without a nest. (Coop in progress...should be finished this weekend and move-in ready by Tuesday) Big hole is where nest box will be
I just found this tiny little cream color egg that was laid in a bucket of pine chips on the back porch. Someone is growing up faster than expected...I've got to watch out...
They grow so fast, don't they? Pretty soon they'll be wanting to borrow the car keys and showing up after dusk when the auto door has already shut for the night! ;)

My September hatches are doing great but I think we ended up with lots of Roos.

Here are some of my babies.

Back
Top Bottom