Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of my problems are me though. Cause I gotta make sure they have fresh water every day. I swear some of them barely take a sip while others drink it all. some of the birds sure don't appreciate the hard work I put in every day. On the positive side I have 3 miners laying now. Birds getting dubbed on Saturday.

roosterhavoc may be having it rough but we are getting off very easy so far. We may get only two days below zero all winter and only about 1 week worth of < 10 F. Most recent years have been mild while when I was younger temperatures where cooler much more consistently.
supposed to be in the mid 40s on Saturday but after that highs in the 20s but lows back down to single digits just about all next week. A few days in the teens. Screw it I'm planning a tropical vacation.

A lot of my problems are me though. Cause I gotta make sure they have fresh water every day. I swear some of them barely take a sip while others drink it all. some of the birds sure don't appreciate the hard work I put in every day. On the positive side I have 3 miners laying now. Birds getting dubbed on Saturday.

Water intake is also all over the place for my birds when it gets really cold. When snow is on ground they seem to meet all their water needs by consuming the snow. Adults in maintenance mode are otherwise maintaining their needs by chipping at ice. Birds still growing and those in lay must have fluid water unless free-range kept. Free-range kept birds meet all their water needs my consuming plant and animal materials. My half dozen free-range birds have no trouble finding insects and crustaceans among leaf litter and tussocks.

As safety measure i am putting out soaked oats. That alone meets water needs for confined birds in maintenance mode. Birds fed richer diets with respect to protein seem to want more water as well. Those diets also dominated by dry ground feeds.

I tried The soaked oats figuring that would be a good alternative. No dice. A few ate it. But most didn't and it just froze rock solid. Funny how I give em water and they still chip away at ice at the edge of the pens.

I apply soaked oats as piles so they can get at it easily even f frozen. If they are not thirsty are really hungry then the oats largely ignored. The ice pecking seems to be as much a function of boredom as thirst.

Update: still cold. Currently 10 degrees. Managed to round up my peacock and stuff him in one of my coops. Getting below zero and he sleeps in the trees. For a tropical bird surprisingly tough, however I can tell it's getting to him. Grabbing a peacock isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Lol

That sucks reminds me of the time back in the day I had a pair of emus and the guy that was into pheasants with me had a pair too his got out and the sheriffs office came and got me from work ( f.d. ) and asked if I'd go catch them cause they knew I had some. As far as I know there's one way to "catch" and walk them and it ain't manhandling them like they tried to do. I get there get them to run past me grabbed a wing swung around and grabbed the other and walked em right to the pen they were in aww lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom