Show off your Peas!

the males practiced tail fan :)

Right now I have 1 male 3 female 6months old. And 4 chicks 3weeks old (predicted 1 male 3 female too). Prior peafowl, I success breed guinea fowl, but must sell them all because my baby girl is born. Now my baby is 2 years old, and I started again, but this time will be peafowl. Will need your help and support in the future, its nice to join this group. Regard from Central Java, Indonesia...

I have them on 12*6 pen during night. Its ok to put light inside their pen during night? Or they need dark pen to sleep?

Im gonna probably get scolded by some on this forum so be easy on me guys and gals,
1f601.png
Here it goes, I have been raising birds for, maybe awhile now and I keep lights on 24/7/365 the main reason is due to a varmint problem where I live and the light helps fend some of them away not all but mostly coons. The lights also help me to see them so I can "choot em" when needed. That being said, I raise green peafowl (mainly Javas) a few common IB varities, guineas and gamefowl. I know what many will say about the health, egg laying, etc... but I have had 0 issues as they are pretty use to it by now. My greens are crazy wild when a varmint comes around and I cant take a chance on them committing suicide at night. All the birds, especially the peafowl roost and sleep. This is just my view on this subject others will for sure chime in with the pros and cons of light at night. I also have a serious sleep disorder so I stay in one of my large green pens when its warm like now, all night until morning and read or do chores. Im gonna say if you decide to do it, then do it on a regular schedule so the birds will get used to it. Thats my opinion and I hope it gives you a different view on the subject. Keep us posted on what you decide and keep those pics coming.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
No light during the night but something very important NOBODY circulate around aviaries in night! Peafowls hate that they are frightened!

Herinanto ... is it possible free ranging green peacock in Java ?
You live in the country side ?
Is there a lot of green peacocks breeders in Java ..... you need a license?

We always leave lights on too. Not bright, but low level throughout the barn, which has 5 separate pens/indoor houses. We have cameras for each pen so we can see what's going on any time of day from anywhere via our phones/computers. We've caught so many problems early on, before they became bad. It really gives us peace of mind. And it's fun to spy on them too!

Just like you Gerald we're watching for varmints. Those lights really help my aim too. The birds don't mind the lights at all, sleep the same hours as without lights. They don't get down off the perches to run around or eat either. No problems whatsoever, except a few extra bucks to electric company.

Gerald, Dany, Argus.. Thanks for your oppinion, so I think I will add light on the pen. My back yard is around 40*15 square feet. With 10feet sorounding wall.. No access for varmint, snake etc to enter the backyard. I ussusaly free ranging them and put them on the pen at night or if raining...

Back
Top Bottom