Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
I have an RSL who was two years old in April 2013. I expected her to molt this year, this being her second laying season, but she hasn't. My other two girls (different breeds) of the same age went through their molts. They have gorgeous new feathers and even started laying again. But my RSL didn't molt at all and never stopped laying. Her feathers are very ragged looking. Is this normal for the breed?

I have an RSL who was two years old in April 2013. I expected her to molt this year, this being her second laying season, but she hasn't. My other two girls (different breeds) of the same age went through their molts. They have gorgeous new feathers and even started laying again. But my RSL didn't molt at all and never stopped laying. Her feathers are very ragged looking. Is this normal for the breed?
Some birds go through much heavier molts and some very light molts that you really can't tell they are molting.

If the feathers are looking bad, it wouldn't hurt to give her a once over for buggies. Mites can really do havoc on how the feathers look. Or lice.

Could somebody tell me the difference between red sex-links and Rhode island reds? Because I had a Rhode island but she looked exactly like the red sex links pictured on this thread..

Could somebody tell me the difference between red sex-links and Rhode island reds? Because I had a Rhode island but she looked exactly like the red sex links pictured on this thread..

Rhode Island Red hens will most offtten have red feathers with (sometimes) black on tail frathers. Red Sexlinks would be lighter red feathers with white tail feathers.

Rhode Island Red hens will most offtten have red feathers with (sometimes) black on tail frathers. Red Sexlinks would be lighter red feathers with white tail feathers.

Thank you, that's really helpful! :D
I'm guessing she was a Red sex-link then as she had light red/ginger feathers with a just hint of white tail feathers. She definitely wasn't as dark as your Rhode island. I'll see if I can post a picture some time, she was such a friendly, chatty chicken. Great egg-layer, too.

Just curious, what's my LF Girls ? RIR or RSL ?

Wizzy

and Ginger

Bought as RSL, Neither have ever laid for us. had both since summer, we guess there 2 + yrs old rescued as throw aways.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom