Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

I am also wondering....when you guys say " lockdown" and to stop the turner....what happens if you put an egg in a week after the first ones you started?

If you stop turning all the eggs for "lockdown", the extra egg that is due a week later should be fine. It will be ok for a few days while the other eggs hatch. We have done this with success.

My best mutt chicken hatched from a porous egg, you just never know. I also dont handle them much now. I did today to take a picture for the group. But I can candle just fine from the turner. That way I never have to touch them. I am very excited about these silvers!!!!

I try to do the same as you. But, usually the first candling is a "special event" for us. We remove the tray from the Brinsea 40, turn off all the lights in Lindaeys room, hop on the bed (soft surface in case an egg plops)... and ooh and aah over each egg. We candle early and leave all the eggs in until around day 10 when we check again by shining a light into each egg in the turner. At that point we throw out the clear eggs.

We candled tonight even though it is only day 5. Looks like we have 4 visible embryos, 5 eggs with some veining, 6 clear and 1 with a blood ring. We don't seem to have luck with eggs that are really porous.

Here are a few pics:
a5uqa6ag.jpg
ma7abu7a.jpg
taqegy2y.jpg
dybupara.jpg
Great shots! I have hatched many, many chicks from porous eggs. They are harder to candle for sure.

I have a blue cream in the chicken hospital. I do well checks 3 times a day. Noticed him first thing this morning. Everyone came out to drink and greet me, he stayed in the coop. He was back in the corner all fluffed up. Thought he might just be cold, so I kept an eye on him all day. He didnt want to walk around much, and didnt come to treat call. So at bedtime I brought him in. Poop is normal, crop is good and full, so he must have ate today. But he just doesnt want to move around. We will see what the morning brings.
smile.png
So sorry about your boy. 8 degrees here this morning and snow on the way. Ugh! Just hoping we don't lose power. Lockdown tomorrow...

I try to do the same as you. But, usually the first candling is a "special event" for us. We remove the tray from the Brinsea 40, turn off all the lights in Lindaeys room, hop on the bed (soft surface in case an egg plops)... and ooh and aah over each egg. We candle early and leave all the eggs in until around day 10 when we check again by shining a light into each egg in the turner. At that point we throw out the clear eggs.
thumbsup.gif

I try to do the same as you. But, usually the first candling is a "special event" for us. We remove the tray from the Brinsea 40, turn off all the lights in Lindaeys room, hop on the bed (soft surface in case an egg plops)... and ooh and aah over each egg. We candle early and leave all the eggs in until around day 10 when we check again by shining a light into each egg in the turner. At that point we throw out the clear eggs.[/quote]

I wish my son, Jonathan, (12) would be more interested in the candling and hatching process, after all I keep the incubator and brooders in his bedroom. :D Maybe that's why he sort of takes a ho-hum attitude about it.

After breaking ice and filling 7 waterers in 25° weather this week he isn't happy about havingChickens period!

Last edited:

I wish my son, Jonathan, (12) would be more interested in the candling and hatching process, after all I keep the incubator and brooders in his bedroom.
big_smile.png
Maybe that's why he sort of takes a ho-hum attitude about it.

After breaking ice and filling 7 waterers in 25° weather this week he isn't happy about havingChickens period![/QUOTE]

My husband does waterers for me. Bless his heart!!

I wish my son, Jonathan, (12) would be more interested in the candling and hatching process, after all I keep the incubator and brooders in his bedroom.
big_smile.png
Maybe that's why he sort of takes a ho-hum attitude about it.

After breaking ice and filling 7 waterers in 25° weather this week he isn't happy about havingChickens period![/QUOTE]

I am lucky, I have a full basement that stays 60 degrees year round. They hatch there and stay there till they are fully feathered. We are building a 30x50 building this year, 1/2 for my birds 1/2 for hubby. I am hoping to add a incubating/brooder room.

We are excited to have 18 in our incubator that are doing well and should go into lockdown on Monday. I can't wait to see what these bring! We are expecting some porcelain, buff, white and b/s. This is our first hatch and was the coolest thing for the kids to see the development during candling!

I did a quick candling of my eggs that I put in for the christmas hatch and it looks like only 4 of the 10 are developing. Sort of what I expected. Some are from my showgirls that had just been put with a rooster so I expected they might not be fertile. If the four hatch I will be happy . I have 9 chicks now and six more to hatch before Christmas and the Christmas ones. Those added to my two young paints gives me enough to raise through the winter. I MAY have to try another hatch with the showgirls though :)

I'll probably be setting eggs tonight - if for no other reason, as a fertility check. If I get some cute little peeps out of it - BONUS! Setting Silkie eggs from my B/B/S pen (there is a silver partridge hen in there too :) ) and a handful of eggs from the partridge pen.

-Chrissy McKay/Mini-Chic Silkies

I am lucky, I have a full basement that stays 60 degrees year round. They hatch there and stay there till they are fully feathered. We are building a 30x50 building this year, 1/2 for my birds 1/2 for hubby. I am hoping to add a incubating/brooder room.
That's a great set up! Perfect for raising chicks.

We are excited to have 18 in our incubator that are doing well and should go into lockdown on Monday. I can't wait to see what these bring! We are expecting some porcelain, buff, white and b/s. This is our first hatch and was the coolest thing for the kids to see the development during candling!
wee.gif
clap.gif

I did a quick candling of my eggs that I put in for the christmas hatch and it looks like only 4 of the 10 are developing. Sort of what I expected. Some are from my showgirls that had just been put with a rooster so I expected they might not be fertile. If the four hatch I will be happy . I have 9 chicks now and six more to hatch before Christmas and the Christmas ones. Those added to my two young paints gives me enough to raise through the winter. I MAY have to try another hatch with the showgirls though :)
Awwww... Sorry you didn't get more. Hope you have a good hatch!

I'll probably be setting eggs tonight - if for no other reason, as a fertility check. If I get some cute little peeps out of it - BONUS! Setting Silkie eggs from my B/B/S pen (there is a silver partridge hen in there too :) ) and a handful of eggs from the partridge pen.

-Chrissy McKay/Mini-Chic Silkies
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom