Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

Getting ready to candle and set up for lockdown.
big_smile.png

I wish my son, Jonathan, (12) would be more interested in the candling and hatching process, after all I keep the incubator and brooders in his bedroom. :D Maybe that's why he sort of takes a ho-hum attitude about it.

After breaking ice and filling 7 waterers in 25° weather this week he isn't happy about havingChickens period!

oh goodness, I wouldn't be thrilled either LOL. I have a heated water setup that works well for us. I'll try to post it over on the other website in the next few days.

My husband does waterers for me. Bless his heart!!

He is a keeper!

I am lucky, I have a full basement that stays 60 degrees year round. They hatch there and stay there till they are fully feathered.  We are building a 30x50 building this year, 1/2 for my birds 1/2 for hubby. I am hoping to add a incubating/brooder room.

You are a lucky gal! I once met someone who had a building that size for her rabbits. It was essentially a house without a kitchen or interior walls. She had such an amazing setup and designed it so that if ever needed, she could convert the space into a second home on her property.

Posting to mark this thread. I have silkies and showgirls. No incubator though. No pullets laying yet either. Hoping to follow and learn so once I get my incubator I'll have some idea of what I'm doing with it. Plus I can get my chixk fix without them in my house. ;)

I have 5 that hatched thurs and 6 today and more to come. I have mutts of americana rir and apparently my little cochin and dominick have joined into the group. My silkies are secluded and have unfortunately not started laying but im excited to see how my new string of mutts will turn out and since im new when i figure out how to do pics i will send in

If you guys don't mind I would like to join you. I've got my incubator full and due to peep on Christmas Eve and hatch on Christmas day. Rir's, black sex links and rir/buf mix. I have a cheap still air (farm innovator) in a temperature controled room. I had a very sucessful Thanksgiving first hatch. Good luck to everybody!

Back
Top Bottom