Silkie thread!

My 2 buffs and my white is.

Hey I know you...
frow.gif
Nice Silkies.
Hiya!
yesss.gif
Thanks!

Chicken Pickin, I've never seen a comb like that - it's massive, looks like it exploded across his face. Maybe it's just the angle. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Mine is enormous combs AND mulberry colored rather than black. I think it detracts greatly from a silkie head and total look. I would not use him for breeding regardless of how good he may be otherwise. I also wouldn't have picked the biggest one. Silkies aren't meant to be BIG birds. They are bantams.

I used to show cockers, and like every other breed if one dog stood out for being different (even though against the SOP) then everyone wanted to breed one like that. When I got out of cockers in the - they were breeding them large to show up better in the group. When I went back years later to watch one of my old friends showing - I saw they had a ring full of tiny cockers.
He's not mine, I quoted the other poster.

Chicken Pickin,  I've never seen a comb like that - it's massive, looks like it exploded across his face.  Maybe it's just the angle.   Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.  Mine is enormous combs  AND  mulberry colored  rather than black.  I think it detracts greatly from a silkie head  and total look.  I would not use him for breeding regardless of how good he may be otherwise.  I also wouldn't have picked the biggest one.  Silkies aren't meant to be BIG birds.
I thought about breeding him all night and had the same opinions. He reminds me of photos of Jimmy Deranti.... And I don't want "a million of 'um." I'm going to put him back on the market & find a prettier male for the girls.

I thought about breeding him all night and had the same opinions. He reminds me of photos of Jimmy Deranti.... And I don't want "a million of 'um." I'm going to put him back on the market & find a prettier male for the girls.

More than the comb, I think the lack of crest would be an issue in a silkie breeding program. If he had a crest then the larger comb wouldn't be so obvious.. I've stared at his picture a lot.. And seen many silkie roos on this thread.. His comb isn't the worst by far, but crest in silkies are huge deals when it comes to quality.

More than the comb, I think the lack of crest would be an issue in a silkie breeding program. If he had a crest then the larger comb wouldn't be so obvious.. I've stared at his picture a lot.. And seen many silkie roos on this thread.. His comb isn't the worst by far, but crest in silkies are huge deals when it comes to quality.
Thankyou Cherie for careing and letting me know. I knew something eles was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. Thing is I can't find any good silkies closer than a 2 hr. drive ( which is what he was). If I go eggs I don't know what I'll get.
1f647.png

I am in canada and have 100 silkies four different colord
That's a lot of Silkies peanut, I currently have 11 of them, but 5 will be leaving soon to their new home. What colors do you have, any show girls? Personally I'm not into the naked neck birds. My favorites are non-bearded, but I have both.

Thankyou Cherie for careing and letting me know. I knew something eles was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. Thing is I can't find any good silkies closer than a 2 hr. drive ( which is what he was). If I go eggs I don't know what I'll get.
1f647.png

Where are you located?

How do your girls look? And what about the other silkies the person you him from.. Did the others have crests? Do you have the facilities to test hatch a few? Crest is suppose to be incomplete dominant so its easy to get but not as easy to get massive..

That's a lot of Silkies peanut, I currently have 11 of them, but 5 will be leaving soon to their new home. What colors do you have, any show girls? Personally I'm not into the naked neck birds. My favorites are non-bearded, but I have both.
I understand not liking naked neck, but how can you not like those ADORABLE beards?? :lol: :love

Do you have a better picture of him, I cant really make out what I am seeing.

This is the SOP for combs

§ Comb: Male - Walnut - set firmly and evenly on head, almost circular in shape, preferably broader than longer, with a number of small prominences over it, a slight indentation or furrow, transversely across the middle, rising at a point just forward of the nostrils and extending backwards to a point parallel with the front of the eyes.
Female - Walnut, very small, well formed. Rest of the description same as the male

So actually the comb isn't so bad..

Here is the crest

§ Crest: Male - medium size, soft and full. as upright as comb will permit, having a few silky feathers streaming gracefully backwards from lower and back part of crest. Female: medium size, soft and full, globular, upright, well balanced.

§ Head: Moderately small, short, carried so that a line drawn parallel with tip of the tail will bisect the comb.

§ Beard & Muffs: Bearded varieties - thick, full, extending back of eyes and projecting from sides of face and composed of feathers turned horizontally backwards, from both sides of the beak, from the center, vertically downwards, the whole forming a collar of three ovals in a triangular group, giving a muffed effect.

And a link for the whole standard of perfection
http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.asp

My best silkies this year are both males..

I breed to the SOP. My best male is a white just purchased from Karen Larson of CatDance Farm who came from champion parents. He is not just a pretty boy, he is a living sweet heart.

His name is Prince charming.

A Blue Cream cockerel I bred from my project pens. He is one of my best silkies I bred myself.

His name is Poi. Just six months old.

Both are show quality which means fpr me, they could be shown right now because of quality and condition. I'm not prepared to show this year but will in the Spring. I currently have fifty silkies over the age of sixteen weeks.

Back
Top Bottom