Silver Linings Chronicles!

I am so sad. Our Buff Orpington "Princess Lilypad" (named by my 5 yo niece) is gone. Coop is fully secure and predator proof, but she had a tendency to wander while free ranging (supervised), and made many escape attempts in the evenings when I was removing water. I fear that she popped off somewhere and became dinner for a coyote. We also have skunks, raccoons, hawks, owls, etc.

No carcass, signs of struggle, blood, feathers, etc. and my dogs didn't pick up any scent on the property. I have not done a nighttime count before, but I won't forget ever again. Here's a photo of the crew when she was still here, and one of her in her favorite mud hole.

Okay back to crying my eyes out now.

Attachments

• 20221207_155248.jpg
    20221207_155248.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221024_145155.jpg
    20221024_145155.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry. :( I've had that happen too, and it's devastating. :hugs

How long has she been gone?
The last photo I have of her is from the 9th. I don't take pictures every day, but I noticed on the 19th that she was gone. At that point because of the rain they had been in the coop for the better part of 3 days. So I'm guessing she's been missing since the evening of the 15th. I feel awful that it took me so long to notice especially because it's not like 11 ducks was a lot to keep track of.

I started counting heads when one of my bantam chickens got left out one night. Now I go in every evening when they are all in [supposedly] and count heads sometimes I have to count 2-3 times to make sure everyone is inside.
It's heartbreaking when we lose one.

This is our newest addition, Tiny (previously Quackers). I believe she is a Rouen. She'll be in the crate inside of the coop in the evening, and outside in the small coop during the day with 2 of my nice girls and a divider between, until she can be fully integrated.

She hatched in early August, was purchased from TSC, and then came to me from a friend whose drake and chickens were bullying her. She's missing some feathers around her eyes, and has a bit of... I don't know what on her bill near the top. At my friend's house she was clearly stressed and she had not yet lain. We got a blue tinted egg from her first thing this morning!

She is terrified of me, so I'm taking it slow and building trust. Any other words of wisdom are appreciated!

20230211_154339.jpg
20230211_154533.jpg
20230211_171756.jpg
20230212_110344.jpg

I have seen something similar on one of my ducks. She is a Muscovy that is 2 years old. I got her from a breeder that free ranges with LGDs that look after them. She clearly had some minor injury to her beak at sometimes. I don't have any good pictures showing it.

Granted, I am assuming your new girl's beak actually feels normal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom