Sled dog breeding

Lol, and well I'm very happy for there new owners. I LOVE silvers!

I am also partial to the silvers. But I have to consider the health of my dogs before adding any new members to our pack. Plus if I had tried to take the dogs he would have found them in my yard and raised a stink. However has them does not live nearby, and I didn't ask any questions when they disappeared. Wasn't my business and I was happy the dogs were away from him and his money hungry breeding plans.

I am still looking for the perfect silver Siberian, I haven't found her yet. One day I will though and she will look beautiful with my 2 black/white, my copper/white, and my wolf grey Siberian Huskies.

I did not know that. I guess i will find out what the pups are if she has them

A good rule of thumb is a mile radius around your house, or anywhere she potties and scent marks when she is in heat. So if she roams over a couple arces, add a mile radius to that. This can potentially send her scent to a lot of dogs, and males can get very determined and aggressive when on the hunt for a female in heat. It's one reason I keep a loaded gun when I have either of my girls out right now. A male stray wanting to breed them would probably bite me to get to them.

Last edited:
We try but when we had her on a leash shed get off it, and at the time we free ranged our chickens, shed kill some, so my brother has almost killed her, expesialy when she got in the Turky pen and hurt his hens so bad my dad had to blow there heads off. So when he came home he got his guns and was gunna kill her, I was PO'd with nala but I managed to get over that cuz no matter how much I hated her at that minute I still loved her enough to stop my brother, he was mad for three days then forgot about it, now he just calls her stupid. Lol, I love my nala.

What kind of collar is she wearing? My Belgian has a tiny head and can slip out of normal buckle collars. I switched him to a martingale collar, which is a very limited choke. Now when he tries to slip out of his collar it tightens and he can't get his head out. It will Not chocke a dog, it only tightens enough to stay on the dog and cause some discomfort if they pull while walking on a leash. I now have martingales on all my dogs and none has gotten out of them and they are much easier to walk now. Martingales are not expensive either, can find a decent one at Pet Co or Pet Smart for about $15 to $25.

Another FYI regarding females in heat. They can get bred through chain link fence. It happens a lot more often than people realize....

Supervise ANY time outdoors, or even better, like others have said, all outdoor time takes place on a leash until the heat cycle passes.

That's what I am doing with my 2 females in heat. They are inside most of the time, leashed for any outside potty breaks, and I keep them in the back of the property, away from any property lines fences when they are taken out.

I have also heard of females being bred through wire crates. Which is why I crate our male in a separate room from the females when I am gone. Not only can some dogs learn how to open or destroy crates, but they can reach each other through the bars.

Last edited:
for sled dogs you want a chain that can hold at least 2x the weight of the dog. keep in mind these dogs are trained to pull so they will. you also want think heavy duty collars and you want to microchip the dogs just to be safe. tags are also nice to have on them. If Griz (RIP) wasn't wearing tags when he ran off, animal control wouldn't have been able to find us when he got killed.
dog-tieout-stake-amp-cable.jpg
these will NOT work
dog-tie-out2.jpg
this will work
41WLgdDraDL._SY300_.jpg
this will work and any heavy duty stake or t-post works. not the swivel kind though, they can dig or pull it out in a minute. i can PM the OP some of things that work and things that don't if she wants.
In some locales it is now illegal to chain out your dog more than an hour at a time. Leaving them out in the snow can lead to cruelty charges too. Apparently dogs hate to be in the snow. No-one obviously asked my dogs. Some people shouldn't make the laws without listening to the people affected by the laws. I do not like HSUS or PeTA.

I know a lot of people who actually take their ***** for a car ride for every potty break. they don't want the scent anywhere near their house

you can also give chlorophyll tablets to your ***** to decrease her scent when she is in heat

I know a lot of people who actually take their ***** for a car ride for every potty break. they don't want the scent anywhere near their house

you can also give chlorophyll tablets to your ***** to decrease her scent when she is in heat

The car rides thing only works a little. The scent of a female in heat permeates the house. Opening doors and windows let's it out. It might not be enough to carry for a mile, but enough for any close dogs to smell and start looking for her.

I will look into the chlorophyll tablets though, that sounds very helpful.

In some locales it is now illegal to chain out your dog more than an hour at a time. Leaving them out in the snow can lead to cruelty charges too. Apparently dogs hate to be in the snow. No-one obviously asked my dogs. Some people shouldn't make the laws without listening to the people affected by the laws.

I do not like HSUS or PeTA.
in some areas, it is illegal to chain or tether dogs for any amount of time or for any reason

The car rides thing only works a little. The scent of a female in heat permeates the house. Opening doors and windows let's it out. It might not be enough to carry for a mile, but enough for any close dogs to smell and start looking for her.

I will look into the chlorophyll tablets though, that sounds very helpful.

This didn't come out how I ment it to. The resident stray pack in my area are fed by a guy on my block, the strays pass my house often, they probably knew my females were coming into heat before I did. So taking my female in heat for a car ride to go potty, which means taking her outside the fence to load into my car, is more dangerous than keeping her behind the fence. The strays already know the girls are here and in heat. Every time the doors or windows are opened some of their scent gets out. I would rather take them out in the yard on a leash, and rush them into the house as soon as I see a stray.

It might work for most people, who don't have the rediculous stray problem I have. Gotta love my local sheriff's office and animal control, they don't do squat!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom