Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Could noncrested throw crested pullets?
No - the crested gene is a dominant trait, so if they carry the gene, they will have a crest. That said, a bird could feasibly have a very small crest causing it to look like it is uncrested, but that is not common. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but I'm in southwest VA and someday perhaps I could get you a crested bird from my flock if you wanted one.
smile.png

Thank you very much!
Any time!

No - the crested gene is a dominant trait, so if they carry the gene, they will have a crest. That said, a bird could feasibly have a very small crest causing it to look like it is uncrested, but that is not common. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but I'm in southwest VA and someday perhaps I could get you a crested bird from my flock if you wanted one.
smile.png

Any time!
Leigh.. do you have many crested birds? Most of the birds I see from your pictures are not crested...(of course except the Marilyn Monroe of SFH.. GRETA!) How many do you have? I tend to favor the birds without, but have seen some beautiful crested bird pics.

MB

No - the crested gene is a dominant trait, so if they carry the gene, they will have a crest. That said, a bird could feasibly have a very small crest causing it to look like it is uncrested, but that is not common. I'm not sure where you are in NC, but I'm in southwest VA and someday perhaps I could get you a crested bird from my flock if you wanted one.  :)

Any time!

Bulldogma
I work in Winston. So depends on where in SW VA you are. My mom's family is from Stuart and Martinsville. We come up that way for apples and that's soon.
That would be great.

Leigh.. do you have many crested birds? Most of the birds I see from your pictures are not crested...(of course except the Marilyn Monroe of SFH.. GRETA!) How many do you have? I tend to favor the birds without, but have seen some beautiful crested bird pics.

MB
I have 3 crested SFH of breeding age - 2 pullets and one roo. I have a total of 23 SFH of breeding age (I think) so 20 are uncrested. :) I also have another crested cockerel who will be getting some girls soon - he's got German bloodlines, and a few more pullets growing out.

Bulldogma
I work in Winston. So depends on where in SW VA you are. My mom's family is from Stuart and Martinsville. We come up that way for apples and that's soon.
That would be great.

I'm in Wytheville, VA so I think I'm only about 3 hours(ish) from you.
big_smile.png

I have 3 crested SFH of breeding age - 2 pullets and one roo. I have a total of 23 SFH of breeding age (I think) so 20 are uncrested. :) I also have another crested cockerel who will be getting some girls soon - he's got German bloodlines, and a few more pullets growing out.

I'm in Wytheville, VA so I think I'm only about 3 hours(ish) from you. :D
Great you're close. Just a little over an hour to 90 minutes

Last edited:
If anyone over my way - Northern Indiana - has any UNCRESTED boys I'll be in the market for one shortly. @KYTinpusher ... maybe you'll have one in the spring that may not be closely related to my girls.... Or maybe there is someone out there that's closer to my neck of the woods that may have one?

Leigh - if I get a broody going in the spring maybe I'll have you send some eggs and see what I get.

Okay, so I don't raise swedes but I like them, and whenever I opened up my latest issue of chickens magazine, geuss what I saw. They are getting publicity.

Is this anyone's group of swedes out there.

Last edited:
If anyone over my way - Northern Indiana - has any UNCRESTED boys I'll be in the market for one shortly. @KYTinpusher ... maybe you'll have one in the spring that may not be closely related to my girls.... Or maybe there is someone out there that's closer to my neck of the woods that may have one?

Leigh - if I get a broody going in the spring maybe I'll have you send some eggs and see what I get.
They're yours for the asking. Wish you lived closer - I have plenty of young boys in search of a good home.
smile.png

Okay, so I don't raise swedes but I like them, and whenever I opened up my latest issue of chickens magazine, geuss what I saw. They are getting publicity.

Is this anyone's group of swedes out there.
Awesome!
And the Editor in Chief of GRIT Magazine (Ogden Publications) got SFH last spring... he has now sold all his other breeds and has only SFH! How cool is that??

Back
Top Bottom