The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Yeah. Looks like I might have one going broody. Will watch to see. If so I might accidentally forget to collect a few eggs
1f602.png
1f602.png
Oh and Pip Sqeak update. Still tiny. But she loves to run up to me and hop in my hand.

Ahhhhh, back inside and sitting down feels good. I went out this morning to just get a pen made up to quarantine my new roosters I picked up yesterday. And...well, if I'm going to do that, I should band them. If I was going to band them, may as well treat them for parasites. Shoot, as long as I'm doing that, may as well pullorum test them. Man, I need to test the whole flock. OK, test the whole flock, treat the whole flock, separate the flock out to breeding pens, quarantine the new roosters, get all the breeding pen waterers and feeders set up...rebed everything...dump and clean out all the waters from the winter...stow away the water heater...rebed the nest boxes...feed, water, and clean up supplies, sort supplies....

OK, I was JUST GOING OUT TO SET UP A PEN! (6 hours ago.)
barnie.gif

Feeling good as having some spring cleaning done a little early, though.

Anyone know why I always end up testing the flock on like the muddiest, semicold day of the spring? Seems to be a trend.
smack.gif

Oh yes, definitely NN.

Have you gotten any NN eggs yet? You asked about mine some time back, I may be ready after the the Easter setting to get you some if you still want them.

May be ready? :p Are these going to lay a blue/green color? :)

Quote:
Way to go HarmonyAnn!
lau.gif

Hatching Participant List is Current to Post 4900!
Thank you Mike!
hugs.gif

I just got a dozen cayuga duck eggs at the flea market for $8! They were marked for eating but I asked if they were fertile and they said that they should be as they house both sexes together. I really hope I get a few to hatch!
WOW good for you!!! Did you set them already?

LL

Oh my goodness..cuteness heart attack! You have the cutest bantams! Frizzle, or no frizzle..take your pick. :)
LOL and yours too!! Thank you Cynth!!

Quote: I am more than thrilled for you too!! awwwww

May be ready?   :p  Are these going to lay a blue/green color?   :)

I'm not sure, I think I've about bred out the blue/green eggs. I'm down to one hen that lays green eggs. The rooster she's paired with is pea combed but I think he's out if a brown egg layer.

Here's the rooster:

and the hen:

They are both some kind if penciled patterned. He's trying to get aggressive since it's turning spring around here.

If it is the green egg layers that you're wanting and you have EE's or Ameraucanas and Naked Necks you have the recipe for them. I'll have to wait and see if I get anymore green egg layers.

Last edited:
A question just popped into my mind: we only get about 5-6 eggs a day but are hoping to set 24, can we collect for a few days leading up to March 5 and set aside the ones we want to put in the bator? And do we just leave them in a carton at room temp? Hmm
idunno.gif

A question just popped into my mind: we only get about 5-6 eggs a day but are hoping to set 24, can we collect for a few days leading up to March 5 and set aside the ones we want to put in the bator? And do we just leave them in a carton at room temp? Hmm
idunno.gif

Yup
smile.png
. Eggs can be stored (large end up) for up to 2 weeks at room temp (but I think 50 degrees in a place with high humidity is best) before fertility levels start to drop.

Last edited:
My husband just finished my new incubator today. We moved it into the kitchen. The temperature is staying in the 99.1-99.5 range. I still need to make sure that there aren't any hot/ cold spots and keep en eye on the humidity. I'm going to start collecting eggs for a test hatch! Followed by the EHAL!

Nice!

Quote: Cornstarch will stop any bleeding.

A question just popped into my mind: we only get about 5-6 eggs a day but are hoping to set 24, can we collect for a few days leading up to March 5 and set aside the ones we want to put in the bator? And do we just leave them in a carton at room temp? Hmm :idunno

Yep, just be sure to store big end up :-D I'm already collecting for the HAL :-D

Back
Top Bottom