The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I did post this in Incubation and Hatching, but didn't know if any of you would have any advice?

This baby piped Thursday morning, she started to unzip about 11:00 pm and only got about a 1/2 " hole going and then she kind of stopped. Last night I helped her unzip a little of the outside shell and noticed that the membrane was very white. (No issues at all with humidity, she was my first pip and so far the rest are doing great 6 already born) I took some warm water and lightly moistened it and then placed her back into the bator. I got up this morning and she still has not moved from this spot, she is still poking out her beak and I can see her breathing, however she is no longer chirping. I don't know if I should just help her out st this point or just let nature take it's course and hope for the best. PLEASE help, I do not want to be the reason she dies but I do want to give her a chance.

Was that at me...about not asking if they are fertile?
If it is...yes, the Vorwerk and the other breeds are supposed to be fertile. I purchased them from a breeder.
Nope, that was about the emu eggs at the feed store.

LL

LL

Love these!!
gig.gif

Too bad they have already got the photos for the caption contest!
lau.gif
We do have another Caption Contest planned...........stay tuned, more contests coming soon!

@Sally Sunshine You asked! And thank you for asking. My DH is doing soo much better. Still no lab report back on the cancer, but soon. I'm not worried, if you are going to have a skin cancer, I am reading this is the easiest one to take care of. Not as much coughing from his cold now, he is feeling stronger too. So thank you!

This weekend? We are going to dinner..hopefully DH will feel a whole lot better by tomorrow night...to meet our son's future in laws. He is getting married in April. Our baby. Yes, our baby. Happy, I am happy. We love this girl he is marrying. She is a sweetheart.
I'm glad your DH is doing well.

And my gawsh, son's getting married? I'm dreading mine dating. Luckily for me, he's extremely focused on school at the moment. I tell my son when he decides to marry someone, make sure he likes her family, they are a package deal. If you love her but can't stand her family, it's not going to go well.

Well my DH may divorce me. He saw that I had put 3 of the Olive Egger eggs in the incubator with the Silver Coturnix and got all upset because I hadn't told him I was doing that. What I couldn't bring myself to tell him is about the 18 rare chicken eggs that I hadn't yet put in. He is afraid that I will get stuck with birds that won't sell. It is true that at the moment I have 3 too many roos. I am placing them on Craig's List but I was waiting a week more because a week ago two of the three tag teamed my senior roo Long John and they are all scratched up. So they have been locked up in the coop while John and the hens roost in the old falling down shed. Makes it hard to find the eggs though one of the girls comes and lays at the foot of my front steps.
If they fail to move in a reasonable time they are going to freezer camp and I will have some gorgeous feathers for art projects.

:th I tend to see all the ways things can go right and he sees all the ways things can go wrong.

What type of art projects do you do using the feathers? I have tons of feathers in bags with the intension of using them for something, nothing has come to me yet.

[COLOR=333333]I did post this in Incubation and Hatching, but didn't know if any of you would have any advice?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This baby piped Thursday morning, she started to unzip about 11:00 pm and only got about a 1/2 " hole going and then she kind of stopped. Last night I helped her unzip a little of the outside shell and noticed that the membrane was very white. (No issues at all with humidity, she was my first pip and so far the rest are doing great 6 already born) I took some warm water and lightly moistened it and then placed her back into the bator. I got up this morning and she still has not moved from this spot, she is still poking out her beak and I can see her breathing, however she is no longer chirping. I don't know if I should just help her out st this point or just let nature take it's course and hope for the best. PLEASE help, I do not want to be the reason she dies but I do want to give her a chance. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Read up on Sally sun shines how to assist posts. I would personally open it up at this point but be ready with an egg cup in case it's not 100% ready. Another option is if you have sav a chick on hand you could give it a few drops to drink, in case it's exhausted.

[COLOR=333333]I did post this in Incubation and Hatching, but didn't know if any of you would have any advice?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This baby piped Thursday morning, she started to unzip about 11:00 pm and only got about a 1/2 " hole going and then she kind of stopped. Last night I helped her unzip a little of the outside shell and noticed that the membrane was very white. (No issues at all with humidity, she was my first pip and so far the rest are doing great 6 already born) I took some warm water and lightly moistened it and then placed her back into the bator. I got up this morning and she still has not moved from this spot, she is still poking out her beak and I can see her breathing, however she is no longer chirping. I don't know if I should just help her out st this point or just let nature take it's course and hope for the best. PLEASE help, I do not want to be the reason she dies but I do want to give her a chance. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Ok normally I would say leave it but sometimes a helping hand can save a life. Now. Try getting a spray bottle and lightly mist the egg. She might start cheeping up a storm. If not then help may be needed. Have you ever helped one before? If not here's what you need. A pair a tweezers, a small eye dropper, some q-tips, warm water ( not cold will chill chick) and lots of time. The best thing is to get it opened a little at a time and see if she zips by herself. Start with applying a tiny amount of water around the opening but stay away from the face area. Use the q-tip to GENTLY rub the membrane to losen it and use the tweezers to GENTLY chip away at the shell to open it up. Go slow. Don't rush. If you see blood STOP!!! I'm sure others here will give advice as well.
1f60a.png
Research. Ask for help and if you need a shoulder pm me
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Ok normally I would say leave it but sometimes a helping hand can save a life. Now. Try getting a spray bottle and lightly mist the egg. She might start cheeping up a storm. If not then help may be needed. Have you ever helped one before? If not here's what you need. A pair a tweezers, a small eye dropper, some q-tips, warm water ( not cold will chill chick) and lots of time. The best thing is to get it opened a little at a time and see if she zips by herself. Start with applying a tiny amount of water around the opening but stay away from the face area. Use the q-tip to GENTLY rub the membrane to losen it and use the tweezers to GENTLY chip away at the shell to open it up. Go slow. Don't rush. If you see blood STOP!!! I'm sure others here will give advice as well.
1f60a.png
Research. Ask for help and if you need a shoulder pm me
1f60a.png

I have helped 1 before but I am certainly not feeling confident hubby is gonna give me a hand but I do not foresee this baby getting out on her own ugh Here goes nothing

@aplynn

Is the chick out yet? 

I wet the membrane and put her back in the bator so I could just read one more time how to do it when I came back the other chicks seemed to be helping her. I have been sitting here watching for 15 mins and sure enough the others chicks have her almost out, I am gonna keep watching, it's pretty fascinating to be honest. Finger crossed that her siblings have this

I wet the membrane and put her back in the bator so I could just read one more time how to do it when I came back the other chicks seemed to be helping her. I have been sitting here watching for 15 mins and sure enough the others chicks have her almost out, I am gonna keep watching, it's pretty fascinating to be honest. Finger crossed that her siblings have this
You are doing this correctly.

Look for curled toes and splay leg when it hatches and later watch for pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom