The American Paint Silkie

Had a lovely paint silkie hatch. Question though - it appears to have an 'extra' toe. So the required 5 on one foot and on the other foot - the required 5 plus the tiniest extra nubbin on the innermost toe. So, here is the question - are extra or missing toes a fluke and therefore it would be ok to use this as a breeder if everything else is good? Or is this a highly inheritable trait making this chick a poor candidate to be a breeder regardless of what it looks like.

Had a lovely paint silkie hatch. Question though - it appears to have an 'extra' toe. So the required 5 on one foot and on the other foot - the required 5 plus the tiniest extra nubbin on the innermost toe. So, here is the question - are extra or missing toes a fluke and therefore it would be ok to use this as a breeder if everything else is good? Or is this a highly inheritable trait making this chick a poor candidate to be a breeder regardless of what it looks like.
That's a really tough question to give a direct answer to.

Yes, an extra toe is hereditary and therefore it isn't ideal for breeding, but you have to look at everything else. How is the comb, feathering, type, spots, etc.? If this was the best paint you have, and it's only downfall is the extra toe, then I'd probably use it for breeding. That's my personal opinion, but it's a choice you'll have to decide. I don't do showing either, however I do try to keep my paint flock arranged with the ones that I think will throw the best offspring results.

That's a really tough question to give a direct answer to.

Yes, an extra toe is hereditary and therefore it isn't ideal for breeding, but you have to look at everything else. How is the comb, feathering, type, spots, etc.? If this was the best paint you have, and it's only downfall is the extra toe, then I'd probably use it for breeding. That's my personal opinion, but it's a choice you'll have to decide. I don't do showing either, however I do try to keep my paint flock arranged with the ones that I think will throw the best offspring results.
Thanks!

Here is the paint boy all grown up, at least he thinks so.

So pretty!!
love.gif

This is probably a very broad question.
I have noticed a lot of people getting away from the paints, is there any reason as to why? I have hatched out a few paints, and I'm not entirely sure I want to keep a breeding project of these guys (not saying I wont keep them as pets). Pros and cons on the paints? Any words of experience?

This is probably a very broad question.
I have noticed a lot of people getting away from the paints, is there any reason as to why? I have hatched out a few paints, and I'm not entirely sure I want to keep a breeding project of these guys (not saying I wont keep them as pets). Pros and cons on the paints? Any words of experience?

Just as some styles and colours of clothing are more fashionable one season than another, so it goes with breeds and varieties. However, I haven't really noticed folks getting out of paints...

Back
Top Bottom