The Duck Thread

Okay I have a problem. I made my own incubator and the eggs just arrived today. I have them in the incubator now but the temp keeps getting too high. I have holes in it but the temp keeps rising. I havnt let it get above 102 but I'm worried about at night if the temp keeps rising. I open it up to cool it off during the day.
If you can get your temps regulated your eggs will be cooked.. go here and see if someone can help... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594278/thread-formerly-known-as-hatch-day-is-today

I'm thinking about buy duckling, I would like to get welsh harlequin duckling. They are not available until Sept. 23th. I live in NY and was wondering if they would be big enough to survive the winter? Or should I wait until spring? I bought two Rouen duck and they went in my pond and never came back
1f61e.png
. Would like to try again not sure if it's to late in the year.
What kind of shelter do you have for them? What kind of secure area do you have, so that you don't lose more ducks? Have you seen the Stickies on duck and duckling care? Loads of good information there.

If you have a good, safe, warm enough place, they could do fine. It all depends on your infrastructure and management. If you want low maintenance animals, you may not want ducks.

I have a question. In a few days my chickens will be switching over to the grower/finisher stage feed. they are the same age as my ducks. 13 weeks. my question is, since both of my ducks are males and will not be laying, what is the best food for them? they have been eating the same as the chickens up to this point! they will be getting their own pen, but not until next year! thanks
smile.png

I have a question. In a few days my chickens will be switching over to the grower/finisher stage feed. they are the same age as my ducks. 13 weeks. my question is, since both of my ducks are males and will not be laying, what is the best food for them? they have been eating the same as the chickens up to this point! they will be getting their own pen, but not until next year! thanks
smile.png
They can switch to the same or go with an "All Flock" I don't like to feed layer to my guys that's why I feed an All flock from hatch till end.

I have a pekin who goes to bed with chickens every night in the coop I put a plastic bin with pine shavings in there for his bed and when he's ready he goes to bed, usually after the chickens.

Does this first aid kit apply to ducks too? I know there are some things safe for chickens but not ducks. Also, new issue! Black tarry poo for several days now and very stinky! All 4 ducks appear in good shape but this poo is going on longer than usual. Could they have an infection, parasite, gut imbalance? The are getting flock raiser feed daily, fresh water all day. My kids enjoy finding bugs and feeding them such as crickets, grasshoppers, beetles, moths, and so on. They eat them and seem to enjoy. What's going on with the ongoing stinky tarry and liquid poop?

Back
Top Bottom