THE firewood thread

Done a more thorough cruise of the 40 acre hunting parcel now that deer season is done and the mosquitos are dead. Good opportunity to educate my already cagey grouse anyway. Haven't quantified timber yet, that will come this winter when my forester friend pays a visit as he has all the tools and simple computer programs, but I can get a feel for what management decisions to make. Think I'll start a new thread on woodlot management. I have a lot of pole sized jack pine and black spruce. Probably about 25 acres of it, 4-6" diameter at the stump. I'm calling this the retirement fund. There is some pole birch mixed in that is being shaded out by the conifers. No-brainer firewood once I get some access trails into it. Also some scattered small stands of aspen/birch. I have a couple of these picked for wildlife clearings/deer hunting foodplot and stands. Of most interest, is about a 10 acre area that has some pretty impressive Red Pine, White pine, Jack pine, Tamarack and black spruce. Diameters on the Red and White are 16-20" and 12-16" on the others. Soil is wet and prone to wind damage. Might be time to think about doing something with these. I have some structures left to build. Planning a woodshed, outhouse and Finnish Sauna. Anybody have any experience with a chainsaw slabbing mill?

Done a more thorough cruise of the 40 acre hunting parcel now that deer season is done and the mosquitos are dead. Good opportunity to educate my already cagey grouse anyway. Haven't quantified timber yet, that will come this winter when my forester friend pays a visit as he has all the tools and simple computer programs, but I can get a feel for what management decisions to make. Think I'll start a new thread on woodlot management. I have a lot of pole sized jack pine and black spruce. Probably about 25 acres of it, 4-6" diameter at the stump. I'm calling this the retirement fund. There is some pole birch mixed in that is being shaded out by the conifers. No-brainer firewood once I get some access trails into it. Also some scattered small stands of aspen/birch. I have a couple of these picked for wildlife clearings/deer hunting foodplot and stands. Of most interest, is about a 10 acre area that has some pretty impressive Red Pine, White pine, Jack pine, Tamarack and black spruce. Diameters on the Red and White are 16-20" and 12-16" on the others. Soil is wet and prone to wind damage. Might be time to think about doing something with these. I have some structures left to build. Planning a woodshed, outhouse and Finnish Sauna. Anybody have any experience with a chainsaw slabbing mill?
I tried the Granberg Alaskian . I did not like it . Maybe the more expensive ones are better . Norwood has one that has a drip system to help cool and lube as you cut . I burnt up a chainsaw and did not have much lumber to show for it .

My dad has had one of those Alaskan mills since I was a kid, never seen him use it much at all. Few yrs ago he took a couple oak logs and made them into exposed beams in their house to remove a couple load bearing walls and open up their house, looks good. Flattened two sides and has logs holding up the ends and one corner in the middle, all debarked and shellacked.
For the one's he cut off two sides he put a board on one side so the rollers had something flat and smooth to run on and made the first cut perfect.
My BIL bought one recently cause he had access to free spruce, hemlock and pine. Built a addition and a deck. Cut the slabs with the mill and squared up the width with a circular saw. Somehow destroyed a couple tips on his bar, wear and tear, time, gas/oil, don't think he saved any $$.

I have a Norwood lm29 sawmill. I love it. I plan on chipping up all the spuce I cut up for siding on the coop along with some cedar I cut for some other projects. Once you build anything with dry dimensional true widths you will instantly fall in love. A real 2x4 looks like a mini beam and 4x4 really looks allot beefier with that extra 1/2"
Back to topic. I have used scrapes from the mill in my wood stove in my shop. Mostly I cut cedar on the mill. Samantha , my wife, carves Cedar bears. In the winter when we need to get sparing done. We heat our shed with whatever cedar scrapes are piled in the carving pit and burn it in the shed for heat. In the house we do not burn any cedar. We just use mainly red, white oak and hickory. Any walnut scrapes get burnt in the mounds of sawdust we burn twice a year. I used walnut once in the house and now I wont ever burn it for firewood again.

Scott

Last edited:
No more bog down
FB_IMG_1497054072463.jpg

My hubby :) His family own a STIHL dealership so they are pretty serious about chainsaws and firewood! Haha

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1505127279154.jpg
    FB_IMG_1505127279154.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom