The Joys of Owning Imported Orpingtons

The red bleed makes him a pet or a project. Selling chicks (as Orpingtons) from him would be out of the question (I mix colors for projects, but any split chicks I permanently mark, and if I decide not to keep them, I give them away as barnyard mix... Orpington never comes out of my mouth. If you wanted to cross him out to a jubilee again you can maybe get some blue jubilee babies, but stay away from any BBS or chocolate breedings with him. Chicken genetics are complicated, and mixing the colors can get ugly if you are wanting to keep the value of your birds, however if all you want is a handsome rooster, and you like the look of him- then Enjoy him!

Okay thanks. I wasn't told when I got him that the red would disqualify him as an Orpington in general. So if I mate him with a Jubilee I may get some of those out of him? Other than the red bleed does he have good enough conformation to even bother with that?

Please be VERY careful with your culls specially when you are creating new colors.. Not culling properly can really make a mess of the gene pool.
I'm not sure who this is in reference too. If it's me, I purchased this rooster as an orpington, he didn't show any bleed until he matured. I don't have any orpington females so the gene pool is pretty safe.

Thank you guys for the info.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who this is in reference too. If it's me, I purchased this rooster as an orpington, he didn't show any bleed until he matured. I don't have any orpington females so the gene pool is pretty safe.

Thank you guys for the info.

Just in general. I read a lot of posts on the net where people are thinking about trying or are doing new projects ... I find it a bit scarey because some of these folks haven't a clue.

This is my too, Brawny. English type to the best of my knowledge, blue with jubilees leaking through a bit. What do you think of him?

Just because he has red/orange leaking through does not necessarily mean he is crossed with Jubilee. Do you know this to be a fact? It could be, but pure blacks as well as blues and other colors occasionally mature to have leakage in the hackle/saddle area. They are usually culled or kept as pets because they can't be used as a breeding bird.

Just because he has red/orange leaking through does not necessarily mean he is crossed with Jubilee. Do you know this to be a fact? It could be, but pure blacks as well as blues and other colors occasionally mature to have leakage in the hackle/saddle area. They are usually culled or kept as pets because they can't be used as a breeding bird.

when i 1st started with english orpingtons i scored a couple 3 week old black cockerels from a lady that was near by (45 min away)

she had mixed a couple of Renie's birds with some american orpingtons

this was the result

Picture005.jpg

both him & his red necked brother went in the pot!

i stepped up & drove to the other side of the state

Renie hooked me up with some quality birds

problem solved

Yes, he was crossed with a jubilee.

Okay thanks. I wasn't told when I got him that the red would disqualify him as an Orpington in general. So if I mate him with a Jubilee I may get some of those out of him? Other than the red bleed does he have good enough conformation to even bother with that?

It's not so much that he is not an orpington- it's just that not everyone totally understands genetics, and if I tell people they are orps I'm afraid they are going to be bred and sold as such... But because they are a mix of colors, they throw strange mixed color chicks- if red gets mixed in with BBS, you can ruin a whole line.

Your boy would be safe to cross back to jubilee because they are red based birds. Just keep him away from BBS.

He is not a bad looking boy.

It's not so much that he is not an orpington- it's just that not everyone totally understands genetics, and if I tell people they are orps I'm afraid they are going to be bred and sold as such... But because they are a mix of colors, they throw strange mixed color chicks- if red gets mixed in with BBS, you can ruin a whole line.

Your boy would be safe to cross back to jubilee because they are red based birds. Just keep him away from BBS.

He is not a bad looking boy.

Thanks! I have a better understanding now. So he should not have even been sold to me as an orpington in the first place because he is a color cross and could potentially have leakage. Obviously as a chick he looked like a pure blue and didn't display red leaks until his juvenile stages. But at the time I didn't know that the jubilee parent could hinder him in that way. If I ever get any jubilee hens and a broody hen I'll let em hatch, but otherwise, he is my flock protector.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have a better understanding now. So he should not have even been sold as an orpington in the first place because he is a color cross and could potentially have leakage. Obviously as a chick he looked like a pure blue and didn't display red leaks until his juvenile stages. But at the time I didn't know that the jubilee parent could hinder him in that way. If I ever get any jubilee hens and a broody hen I'll let em hatch, but otherwise, he is my flock protector.

Good for you
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom