The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

I am trying to figure out if this little hatchery bird is a male. It is the smaller and darker of the 4 I got. They are approximately 4+ weeks at this point. I put one of his flockmates for comparison, she is bigger, lighter, almost no comb development, essentially the same leg girth.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out if this little hatchery bird is a male. It is the smaller and darker of the 4 I got. They are approximately 4+ weeks at this point. I put one of his flockmates for comparison, she is bigger, lighter, almost no comb development, essentially the same leg girth.

We used to raise Show Quality Blue wyandottes for several years-that's a male. And, I'm not convinced the other is female yet either. Any more pictures?

We used to raise Show Quality Blue wyandottes for several years-that's a male. And, I'm not convinced the other is female yet either. Any more pictures?
I will try for more tonight, if the other is questionable then they all are and since they were all in the pullet bin I would be having even worse luck than normal .....

The two you have look alot like barred rocks, very cute though! Barred rocks are still very pretty!

Not sure where you got your chicks, but I'm afraid you shouldn't expect these babies to have lacing. If they are Wyandottes, they definitely have had barring added to their bloodline at some point. It also looks like they have single combs, which would indicate they may not be Wyandottes at all. Barred birds are still very pretty, just don't want you to expect them to look like a laced bird and be disappointed when they don't. Best of luck with them!

@newkfarm
When your little ones were chicks, did they look like this?

Or this?
The two you have look alot like barred rocks, very cute though! Barred rocks are still very pretty!

Not sure where you got your chicks, but I'm afraid you shouldn't expect these babies to have lacing. If they are Wyandottes, they definitely have had barring added to their bloodline at some point. It also looks like they have single combs, which would indicate they may not be Wyandottes at all. Barred birds are still very pretty, just don't want you to expect them to look like a laced bird and be disappointed when they don't. Best of luck with them!

@newkfarm
When your little ones were chicks, did they look like this?

Or this?

I'm sorry, I posted the wrong picture without realizing it. Those are my barred rocks. I was really sick when I was posting and obviously didn't double check my photo after uploading.

Here is the pic I meant to post.

I think that they actually are Blue Wyandottes after looking and researching. Granted just hatchery quality but that is what they looked like as chicks and here they are now
this is still the one I think is the cockerel

I am pretty sure this one is a pullet and she has a single comb

boy again

one of the matching rose comb that I think is a pullet

Back
Top Bottom