Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Maybe... sometimes they just get digested.

-Kathy
Okay, when would I stop seeing the foamy poops then? Also I mixed the 1 ounce of pig swig into the 1 1/4 gallon as suggested on the bottle, now it says it will treat 50 chickens at that level, I have 21 and they are almost out of water. Should I give them plain water now or another 1 1/4 gallon with more pig swig in it.

Just let me know how much they weigh and I'll help you figure out doses for them.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
There's so much variety in my flock. Let's see. A barred rock, speckled sussex, two brahma mixes and 3 australorps are heaviest. Probably 6-10lbs each. Six ameracaunas, a leghorn, a leghorn mix, two EE and a welsummer are maybe medium 4-6lbs? Then five OE juveniles. 2-3lbs? Does that help?

Ive read so much. I thought the Safegurd dosage was .05 ml using a 3cc syringe. (I bought a whole box over the internet...) for a five lb chicken>
on here read.25 per lb. so are we giving too little? we did the dosage for 4 days. cause I saw a worm near the poo on th poo tray..last weekend. It looked like a roundworm.....
lots of loose poo and some foamy
They free range mostly
So do they dispel worms , days later. Cause Hubby thought he saw some real small worms last nite on poo tray...
Im more confused..
used Liquid Safeguard for goats cause had been using Valabenz.
I read on this forum supp to alternate wormers
please explain more.
thanks all

Ive read so much. I thought the Safegurd dosage was .05 ml using a 3cc syringe. (I bought a whole box over the internet...) for a five lb chicken>
 on here read.25 per lb.    so are we giving too little? we did the dosage for 4 days. cause I saw a worm near the poo on th poo tray..last weekend. It looked like a roundworm.....
lots of loose poo and some foamy
  They free range mostly
So do they dispel worms , days later. Cause Hubby thought he saw some real small worms last nite on poo tray...
Im more confused..
used  Liquid Safeguard for goats  cause  had been using Valabenz.
I read on this forum  supp to alternate wormers
please explain more.
thanks all

Way under dosing...

Safeguard dosage is .5cc per 2.2 lbs, so a 5 lb chicken should get 1.14cc for 5 consecutive days... you can round that up to 1.25cc as it takes a lot to overdose with Safeguard...

Quote: X2!

Couple of things...

1. The label on the bottle is for goats, not chickens. Goats, horses, and cows get much less per pound than poultry.
  2. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of places on the internet that say to give too little.

@ladyearth , this is 0.05 ml:

This shows 0.5 ml

Here is a prescription from a vet:

A five pound chicken gets this much:

-Kathy

yeah so confusing cause i read prev to give .25 per 2ils or so.
well so we are underdosing about 1/3 ???
I am looking at the 3ml syringe wow.
What should be done? Hubby not going to br HAPPY. He is so tired and grumpy bout this whole take over our lives chicken THING....
I bought the Safegurd paste other day. Saw but never used before. It has quite a long life exp date on that tube...
It s hard enough to try to keep them for asperating on .5ml... now yall saying 1.25.. well only weighed one recently. The little bossy girl, just weighs over 3 lbs and something. Forgot to write it down.
Kathy, unfortuntely , Hubby didnt buy the scale like yours. He bought one with a glass "saucer looking bowl". He said Target didnt have one like yours. RAH....
Tried to get Goldie on tray last night ,that he put over the glass "bowl" on scale..., she wouldnt go.. while I was drying her feathesr after giving her a bath....
so she could soak her scabs on her feet>>>>>so while she was fairly comfortable ran more wtr put in DrBronner peppermint saop a quirt, Then put her in another tote of warm water with a tiny splash of white vinegar. Heck she was tired but seemed to like it... but she was more happy to get back to her house and SLEEP.
Hubby did a good job on her feet removed the one scab like "tillysnest.com" did...
But I wanted to keep her in the run to keep her vet wrapped feet cleaner.
But I would have to stand at the gate most of day and let the ones who wanted to lay eggs into the run so they could get inside the coops....and block her from going out
thanks

Last edited:
yeah so confusing cause i read prev to give .25 per 2ils or so.
well so we are underdosing about 1/3 ???
I am looking at the 3ml syringe wow.
What should be done? Hubby not going to br HAPPY. He is so tired and grumpy bout this whole take over our lives chicken THING....
I bought the Safegurd paste other day. Saw but never used before. It has quite a long life exp date on that tube...
It s hard enough to try to keep them for asperating on .5ml... now yall saying 1.25.. well only weighed one recently. The little bossy girl, just weighs over 3 lbs and something. Forgot to write it down.
Kathy, unfortuntely , Hubby didnt buy the scale like yours. He bought one with a glass "saucer looking bowl". He said Target didnt have one like yours. RAH....
Tried to get Goldie on tray last night ,that he put over the glass "bowl" on scale..., she wouldnt go.. while I was drying her feathesr after giving her a bath....
so she could soak her scabs on her feet>>>>>so while she was fairly comfortable ran more wtr put in DrBronner peppermint saop a quirt, Then put her in another tote of warm water with a tiny splash of white vinegar. Heck she was tired but seemed to like it... but she was more happy to get back to her house and SLEEP.
Hubby did a good job on her feet removed the one scab like "tillysnest.com" did...
But I wanted to keep her in the run to keep her vet wrapped feet cleaner.
But I would have to stand at the gate most of day and let the ones who wanted to lay eggs into the run so they could get inside the coops....and block her from going out
thanks
Your 3 pound hen should get ~0.75 ml (3/4 ml)
Four pounds get 1 ml

Paste or liquid is the same amount. Ignore any post that says to use a pea size amount of paste because a pea size amount is not enough. Transfer the paste into your syringe and give it that way.

Read this:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom