Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do you tell hens from roosters when they are chicks? This is my first experience with chicks and after the above comments I'm now concerned cause I only want hens!

Our TSC had two bens dedicated to just pullets. They had Red and assorted pullets. The only two straight run bins were the Cornish crosses and the Bantams.

So how do you tell hens from roosters when they are chicks? This is my first experience with chicks and after the above comments I'm now concerned cause I only want hens!

Buying sex linked (hybrids that hatch with males in one color/patter and females in another) chicks is the only 100% method to be sure you are purchasing a female chick. Hatchery sexed chicks (sold as pullets vs straight run) come with a 5-15% failure rate (depending on which hatchery's page you read - generally accepted is 10%) are a good way to better your chances for the non-sex-linked chicks. Even when purchasing from the pullet bin you have the chance of getting a roo. Best thing to do if you purchase hatchery sexed chicks is to buy knowing that you may end up with a few surprises and have a plan for what to do with any unwanted/needed roos that you do end up with.
Another option is to purchase started/point of lay birds - which are pullets that have grown out to the point that their gender is known - or already laying hens, though with that you need to be aware/sure of their age as some unscrupulous folks will sell off "laying hens" who are aged to the point they are at the end of their productive years.

hay woodmort I used tss and had good luck with their chicks . bought 7 bjgs and they are very nice I have to say..already 6 wks old and going to the coop soon fully feathered doing well.. first time ever with chicks and very happy so far..i know lots of people complain about some stores but I have been very happy with the people I deal with there..

I ordered from tsc and yes min was 6 at 1.99 each but don't forget u save the shipping I have 7 very nice bjgs and I am very happy so far with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom