Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

luckysaygo --

Perhaps your Winco eggs are of a white rock lineage?

- -- -

RobG7 --

Love your California souvenir!

Sounds like perhaps an age-of-egg problem for a low(er) hatch...that or they suffered some in air travel. (Xrays? Baggage handling?)

The best hatch of any eggs I've ever had (shipped or store bought) were TJ's eggs with a pack date of just 3 days earlier...haven't ever seen any earlier. I let them come to room temp for about 8 hours and then let them sit in the incubator with no turning for 24 hours. TJ's eggs don't suffer the abuses of the USPS (tossed end over end, dropped from heights onto conveyor belts, etc.) and are packed and shipped flat, so their yolks and air cells are in exemplary shape in comparison to most shipped eggs.

- - - -

Eggs at TJ's come in regularly, so it never hurts to ask if there's something fresher in the back if the pack date is a bit yon. Unless you have a surly clerk, most TJ personnel are happy to oblige if it means you'll buy a dozen or two vs. not.

I probably should have asked for fresher...but it was right before Easter and I figured that the eggs left would be all that they had. I do wonder if pressure changes on an airplane might have a greater effect on air cells. I'm actually a flight attendant so these eggs went up and down probably 10 times after I bought them. Then I drove from Nashville to Chattanooga so that's a bit of extra time being vibrated and shaken as well. Of the 17 two have unabsorbed yolks and are far from robust. In fact, I'll be surprised if they make it. There are a lot of factors involved so it's hard to say if it is the fault of the eggs or not. I'm going to be in San José, California in a few days and there is a Trader Joe's about 2 miles walking distance from the hotel so I'll go check it out. I'd like to try incubating some brown T.J.'s eggs.

I haven't ever seen any brown fertile TJ's eggs. Let me know if you find them! (I may have to engage my CA sister in a TJ's field trip as she works in San Jose)

BTW, the pullet I've got that hatched from a TJ's egg has laid 63 out of 65 days straight....large or x-large. TeJae is my little superstar in the coop!

Last edited:
I've seen brown fertile eggs at T.J.'s before...but I can't remember where (San Francisco or Burbank are my guesses). I've only seen fertile eggs in California. I'll post pictures if I find brown fertile eggs in San Jose...but I've never been to this Trader Joe's before. If not, I'll be in San Diego later this month and I can check a Trader Joe's there.

Out of my second batch of two dozen TJ eggs I got a whopping one egg developing! Twenty three eggs went into the trash.
hmm.png
It wasn't that they were early quiters either, there was zero blood vessels. Maybe their rooster was taking some weeks off, or just wasn't there?

I had higher hopes for this batch since they were a couple of days fresher when I set them than the first batch. I have 14 eggs developing out of the first batch from the two dozen I set. We'll see how many hatch.

I pi
I've seen brown fertile eggs at T.J.'s before...but I can't remember where (San Francisco or Burbank are my guesses).  I've only seen fertile eggs in California.  I'll post pictures if I find brown fertile eggs in San Jose...but I've never been to this Trader Joe's before.  If not, I'll be in San Diego later this month and I can check a Trader Joe's there.
I picked up three dozen white fertile eggs at Trader Joe's in San Jose. I didn't see any fertile brown eggs and I'm wondering if I was just mistaken...but I'll keep checking. I should be able to look at T.J.'s in San Diego later this month.

And Raley's has brown fertile eggs, too...but it's awfully easy to candle the white ones...I can actually do it withour opening the incubator through the clear plastic with my really bright mag light..it's good enough to see veining in the white tj eggs.

And Raley's has brown fertile eggs, too...but it's awfully easy to candle the white ones...I can actually do it withour opening the incubator through the clear plastic with my really bright mag light..it's good enough to see veining in the white tj eggs.
Have you hatched eggs from Raleys yet?

Yes I have two of the 12 hatched but I was having serious humidity issues so I cant say for sure if it was them or me...with 5 broodies it will be awhile before I try again....lol

Got my first tj puller egg yesterday though! It's the tinted one in the left lower corner

Back
Top Bottom