True Blue Whiting info please?

Well I know that this thread is dead now but I just wanted to come on and correct the people saying that WTBs are “overpriced Easter eggers”. They are NOT Easter eggers. Easter Eggers don’t have a double blue gene and can lay a variety of different coloured eggs. WTBs are their own breed and supposed to be homozygous, so they do lay true for blue eggs. I have one myself and she lays a beautiful bright blue egg without any green tint to it! If you want lots of good info on this breed check out Silver Homestead, they breed whiting true blues and their flock is all homozygous.
The easter egger thing is very frustrating for sure!

Personally, I don't see the value in "Whiting True Blue". I have never had them, but I'm pretty sure my line of Cream Legbars would exceed them in every category, plus they are autosexing.
If you want high volumes of blue eggs, make a hybrid to benefit from the added vigor. I used to use California Grey pullets from Privett Hatchery, with a Black Ameraucana rooster to make black sexlinks that looked like Ameraucanas, were easily sexable at hatch, and laid so many blue eggs.
If you want a true breeding, homozygous for blue egg, breed, try Cream Legbars, but get an exceptional line of them from a responsible breeder, not from the hatcheries. When they were first introduced to the US, it really took the poultry world by storm. It is one of the few breeds that actually lives up to its hype. At the time I was raising standard bred Ameraucanas (still am) and I did not want to like Legbars, but after keeping them for a year or so, I realized they were simply the best possible breed for backyard chicken keepers.

Personally, I don't see the value in "Whiting True Blue". I have never had them, but I'm pretty sure my line of Cream Legbars would exceed them in every category, plus they are autosexing.
If you want high volumes of blue eggs, make a hybrid to benefit from the added vigor. I used to use California Grey pullets from Privett Hatchery, with a Black Ameraucana rooster to make black sexlinks that looked like Ameraucanas, were easily sexable at hatch, and laid so many blue eggs.
If you want a true breeding, homozygous for blue egg, breed, try Cream Legbars, but get an exceptional line of them from a responsible breeder, not from the hatcheries. When they were first introduced to the US, it really took the poultry world by storm. It is one of the few breeds that actually lives up to its hype. At the time I was raising standard bred Ameraucanas (still am) and I did not want to like Legbars, but after keeping them for a year or so, I realized they were simply the best possible breed for backyard chicken keepers.
Thanks for the review of Cream legbars.

Chicken breeds work differently based on location. Cream legbars have not done well for me here in the Sacramento Valley of California. They were sweet birds though!

We are hot and dry here which is best for light Mediterranean breeds-- we have a Mediterranean climate.

I have some whiting true blue eggs being shipped to me from dragonfly farms in NC. I went through this whole thread and it sure is polarized. Some people love their wtb and other despise the idea of them haha. I guess I’ll get to form my own opinion of them soon enough.

I contacted whiting farms a few weeks back when I was searching for eggs. They have a few other blue layers besides the WTB that they sell from their own hatchery. There’s quite a few good interviews with dr whiting on YouTube and some podcasts as well. The talk about the true blue is limited though. The majority is about the genetic hackle.
Their hatchery said besides getting chicks directly from them in the spring in colorado, my other option would be to meet a transport from another state. Yikes! They also said no hatching eggs probably next year.
I’m glad Kim at dragonfly is able to ship hatching eggs. I’ll update with my progress on them.

I have some whiting true blue eggs being shipped to me from dragonfly farms in NC. I went through this whole thread and it sure is polarized. Some people love their wtb and other despise the idea of them haha. I guess I’ll get to form my own opinion of them soon enough.

I contacted whiting farms a few weeks back when I was searching for eggs. They have a few other blue layers besides the WTB that they sell from their own hatchery. There’s quite a few good interviews with dr whiting on YouTube and some podcasts as well. The talk about the true blue is limited though. The majority is about the genetic hackle.
Their hatchery said besides getting chicks directly from them in the spring in colorado, my other option would be to meet a transport from another state. Yikes! They also said no hatching eggs probably next year.
I’m glad Kim at dragonfly is able to ship hatching eggs. I’ll update with my progress on them.
I am happy that you found a source of hatching eggs!

Do you have a link to dragonfly farms?

Back
Top Bottom