UK Member Please Say HI

It could be worthwhile putting a feeder out with some growers pellets in. It's a bit more protein to help with the moult. It is tough on them. Two of my rescues are not looking great. I'm hoping they make it through.
I can't leave food out unfortunately; rats, really bad this year. I've hand fed her this morning and evening, but she's not really interested.
What's wrong with the two rescue hens?

I can't leave food out unfortunately; rats, really bad this year. I've hand fed her this morning and evening, but she's not really interested.
What's wrong with the two rescue hens?
One has been on and off poorly for some time. She lost loads of weight and stands around huffed up. I wormed her and gave her lice/mite treatment she seemed better but now the weather is changing she seems to be struggling again. The other one has started cream cheese looking poop and a really messy behind she hasn't layed in a while but I'm thinking possibly peritonitis. I had one go like this before and she only lasted a couple of weeks. The other four are doing good though.

One has been on and off poorly for some time. She lost loads of weight and stands around huffed up. I wormed her and gave her lice/mite treatment she seemed better but now the weather is changing she seems to be struggling again. The other one has started cream cheese looking poop and a really messy behind she hasn't layed in a while but I'm thinking possibly peritonitis. I had one go like this before and she only lasted a couple of weeks. The other four are doing good though.
Oh, I'm sorry to read this.
What is their average life span once you've taken them in?

Oh, I'm sorry to read this.
What is their average life span once you've taken them in?
Well they have outlived the others I had. These are now 2 1/2yrs. I've had them a year now. I'd like to get them all to 3yrs so they have at least half there life in retirement. In all honesty I'm not sure. Some people reckon that anything over two is a bonus some have had them 6-7years! The truth is that there not bred for longevity only egg laying there bodies burn out from calcium deficiency and internal laying issues this is why I never encouraged these to lay. They've laid enough. I'd say anywhere from 2-4 years is average.

Well they have outlived the others I had. These are now 2 1/2yrs. I've had them a year now. I'd like to get them all to 3yrs so they have at least half there life in retirement. In all honesty I'm not sure. Some people reckon that anything over two is a bonus some have had them 6-7years! The truth is that there not bred for longevity only egg laying there bodies burn out from calcium deficiency and internal laying issues this is why I never encouraged these to lay. They've laid enough. I'd say anywhere from 2-4 years is average.
I think I would find the shortened lifespan difficult to deal with emotionally.
I have a couple of nine year olds here. They aren't showing any signs of dying but you can tell they're getting old. It's going to break my heart when they die. I've known them eight years now and they've taught me so much in that time.

I think I would find the shortened lifespan difficult to deal with emotionally.
I have a couple of nine year olds here. They aren't showing any signs of dying but you can tell they're getting old. It's going to break my heart when they die. I've known them eight years now and they've taught me so much in that time.
It is difficult. I've lost plenty of hens in my time but for some reason these girls hold a special place with me. These are the true cost of ever cheaper eggs. They are just a disposable commodity to big business.

It is difficult. I've lost plenty of hens in my time but for some reason these girls hold a special place with me. These are the true cost of ever cheaper eggs. They are just a disposable commodity to big business.
I think you're doing something very worthwhile.
I've got some scaly mite to deal with on a couple of roosters legs and I'm away to my bed.
Good night.:)

They seemed fine yesterday. I was with them for the best part. Now the clocks have gone back its dark in the morning when I go to work and dark when I return so all I can do is check them in the coop. The cam I ordered from amazon should have been here yesterday because I have prime. It never showed up and got rescheduled for tomorrow. I'm not a happy bunny but there's not much I can do about it. How are yours? Did you have the frost this morning? My car was frozen solid!
Thanks for the update - very annoying when things ordered don't turn up as scheduled, lets hope it turns up this time!
We haven't had any frost yet, we got rain, rain and more rain at the moment, my ducks are loving it, my chickens are not lol - they experienced their first ever hail stones on Sunday, I felt so sorry for the chickens, they were so scared, they all hid under a bush looking bemused, but once it was over they were fine again. Ducks weren't bothered by it at all and didn't appear to even notice it. I'm sure its only a matter of time till we have the frost too.
How are yours with the fireworks? So far mine seem ok, they've been locked up in bed by the time the fireworks have started, but there hasn't been any really close to us yet, and I'm worried that when they are going off in full force it might be too much for them. My daughter used to have cats, poor things used to be scared witless.

Just wondering, have you ever tried Nutri-Drench? I got given the tip off from a BYC'r in the US - stuff is marvelous, can't get it over here and can be pricey (especially with shipping fees) but we recently found a seller on ebay, really good price and free P&P. Recently we had a cold or flu go through our flocks, started with one of the ducks, went through all including chickens, one duck struggled badly, we gave him one dose of Nutri-Drench, we saw a change in him within 10mins of giving it to him, same with one of my pullets, just 3/4 days ago, been hunched with tail down constantly, have given her the ND she back to normal now.

Just wondering, have you ever tried Nutri-Drench? I got given the tip off from a BYC'r in the US - stuff is marvelous, can't get it over here and can be pricey (especially with shipping fees) but we recently found a seller on ebay, really good price and free P&P. Recently we had a cold or flu go through our flocks, started with one of the ducks, went through all including chickens, one duck struggled badly, we gave him one dose of Nutri-Drench, we saw a change in him within 10mins of giving it to him, same with one of my pullets, just 3/4 days ago, been hunched with tail down constantly, have given her the ND she back to normal now.
Could you give the link to the ebay seller.
I can't get anything like that here.

Back
Top Bottom