UK Member Please Say HI

I didn't know there's a British version, I called numerous pet shops, searched UK net didn't find anything. - Don't know if you're interested but my daughter found a seller on ebay selling 4oz Nutri-drench for £17.00 plus free P&P (we on very low income any saving is a great help for us)
Could you tell me if you have ever used Electrolytes on your birds and if you have, what you think of it? I'm asking because one of my drakes has become very clumsy, hes eating, drinking and functioning well and shows no sign what so ever of illness nor injury, just seems to be very clumsy and struggles a bit getting out of the pool and sometimes ends up splatting on the ground, someone suggested I try him with electrolytes but I'm very weary about using something I know nothing about.
I use something called entrodex. It is a probiotic with electrolytes. It's a powder and you put one scoop (scoop included) in 1litre of water. I normally use it after I've wormed or if they had medication. Is safe to use but if your birds are on any meds give them it AFTER they have finished. I also use apple cider vinegar (ACV) once a month. That just helps with general conditioning and supposedly helps against coccidiosis. I'm not much of a duck person but @WVduckchick may be able to help with your drake. I hope it's nothing serious.

It is difficult. I've lost plenty of hens in my time but for some reason these girls hold a special place with me. These are the true cost of ever cheaper eggs. They are just a disposable commodity to big business.
It's so sad, I wish our government and the RSPCA would do more to help these poor birds and outlaw the awful way they are treated. My chickens and ducks are purely pets and I couldn't care less if they never laid an egg in their lives but I have come across so many people who lose interest in them once they slow down or stop laying. On most part I've found people only interested in them for the eggs or for meat, and I've had comments made at me because I am emotionally involved with my beauties, been told I'm crazy - not that I care, I love my birds and everyday I have them is a blessing. I'm glad for people like you, giving to these poor unfortunates, I did consider taking in some ex-battery hens but I am so new to chickens (and ducks) I felt myself way out of my depth, so decided not to but who knows in the future when I gain enough knowledge and experience, maybe I'll find the courage.

I use something called entrodex. It is a probiotic with electrolytes. It's a powder and you put one scoop (scoop included) in 1litre of water. I normally use it after I've wormed or if they had medication. Is safe to use but if your birds are on any meds give them it AFTER they have finished. I also use apple cider vinegar (ACV) once a month. That just helps with general conditioning and supposedly helps against coccidiosis. I'm not much of a duck person but @WVduckchick may be able to help with your drake. I hope it's nothing serious.
Thank you. I have had a lot of help from WVduckchick in the past but I haven't brought this matter into any forums yet because I believe it isn't serious and could very possibly just be him, he is taller than my other drake and although ducks feet are slightly turned inwards, this one is loads more pigeon toed than is usual so might even be just that. I'm keeping a close and watchful eye though and any sign of any trouble I'll take him to the vets.

It's so sad, I wish our government and the RSPCA would do more to help these poor birds and outlaw the awful way they are treated. My chickens and ducks are purely pets and I couldn't care less if they never laid an egg in their lives but I have come across so many people who lose interest in them once they slow down or stop laying. On most part I've found people only interested in them for the eggs or for meat, and I've had comments made at me because I am emotionally involved with my beauties, been told I'm crazy - not that I care, I love my birds and everyday I have them is a blessing. I'm glad for people like you, giving to these poor unfortunates, I did consider taking in some ex-battery hens but I am so new to chickens (and ducks) I felt myself way out of my depth, so decided not to but who knows in the future when I gain enough knowledge and experience, maybe I'll find the courage.
I've only had hens for about 4 years. It's something I've found out about having them is that you learn quick! There always seems to be some drama happening with them! I know what you mean about people laughing, I don't even talk about them at work now. People just don't understand. Chickens have something so endearing, more than any other animal I've had. Each and everyone of them is so unique with a personality to match! My rescues will follow me around EVERYWHERE! The amount of times I've nearly stepped on one or been tripped over by one is crazy! The BHWT are tirelessly working to improve the conditions of battery hens. They work with the farmers and have had alot of success in improving conditions for them. They do need extra care when they first get liberated but the biggest problem I had was integrating them with my other hens. They can be a bit feisty but a bit of perserverence and they soon be running with the whole flock! But they are super friendly. One of mine called dinky always comes up to me and likes to be carried around or sit on my knee for a snooze!

Thank you. I have had a lot of help from WVduckchick in the past but I haven't brought this matter into any forums yet because I believe it isn't serious and could very possibly just be him, he is taller than my other drake and although ducks feet are slightly turned inwards, this one is loads more pigeon toed than is usual so might even be just that. I'm keeping a close and watchful eye though and any sign of any trouble I'll take him to the vets.

Of course a vet is a great option if you can do it. You could always check out some of the other duck threads too, without starting your own. Lots of folks suggest vitamin B complex, although I’ve never used it myself. The electrolytes may help and there are some homemade recipes on this site too.
Hope your fella is just having a down day!

I've only had hens for about 4 years. It's something I've found out about having them is that you learn quick! There always seems to be some drama happening with them! I know what you mean about people laughing, I don't even talk about them at work now. People just don't understand. Chickens have something so endearing, more than any other animal I've had. Each and everyone of them is so unique with a personality to match! My rescues will follow me around EVERYWHERE! The amount of times I've nearly stepped on one or been tripped over by one is crazy! The BHWT are tirelessly working to improve the conditions of battery hens. They work with the farmers and have had alot of success in improving conditions for them. They do need extra care when they first get liberated but the biggest problem I had was integrating them with my other hens. They can be a bit feisty but a bit of perserverence and they soon be running with the whole flock! But they are super friendly. One of mine called dinky always comes up to me and likes to be carried around or sit on my knee for a snooze!
It wasn't ever my intention to have chickens or ducks, in fact from a few years earlier I had decided I didn't want anymore animals but in May this year, my daughter and I took my 2yr old grandson to a commercial farm for a day out, one of the kiddie features is holding a chick while the farm hand gave an educational talk. My grandson wasn't interested in holding the chick so my daughter, not wanting to interrupt the farmhands speech, held the chick and that was it she was smitten! I have to say though, the farm are very irresponsible, they are so focused on selling the chicks they don't vet who they sell them too, and they told us wrong info, neither myself or my daughter had any idea what so ever how to look after chickens, nor did we know what it entails, we didn't even know what they need! The farmhands are so flippent about it, they're like 'oh its so easy - they practically take care of themselves'. My daughter has always liked the idea of having a duck and had spotted the ducklings, the farmhand (who is actually the farm manager) told us a chicken and duck can live together no props, also said its fine for them to live in a rabbit hutch, told us only give duck water to drink and not let it swim cos it could drown (which is correct as incubated ducks lack the waterproof oil they get from the mother) he put the two in a cardboard box and said they'd be fine to live in that box for a couple of weeks. We took them home, followed the scarce instructions they'd given us, gave them the food and water we'd been given for them - woke the next morning to finding the duckling dead. I phoned the farm, they claimed this had never happened before, said they'd give us a replacement, we weren't comfortable with that idea, felt like it made nothing of the little ducklings life, so we decided to bury our little one and buy another duckling, but this time I told the farmhand to make sure it was healthy enough not to die. A week into having our two beauties we decided they'd be better off having one of their own kind, so my daughter went back to the farm and got another chick and duckling. I spent hours and hours researching and the more I found out the more I realised how much wrong information the farm gave us, they told us at 8 weeks to put them onto layers feed, I only found out a couple of months ago they are supposed to have growers until 18 to 20 weeks. My daughter found having kids and trying to look after and manage the birds too much, so I adopted them and they are now officially mine, however my daughter and grandson live with me so still get to enjoy them. Once we realised the two ducks are drakes and I read all the horror stories about drakes trying to mate with chickens if they don't have females, we then got our two female ducks and are hoping they will pair (seem to be so far but test will be when spring comes, mating season). I then decided I'd like two flocks of four and in August a breeder friend of mine had a hen and chick he said I could have, it was then I found out mine should have been on growers and that giving them layers at such a young age could have set them up for liver and kidney damage, plus two of my females (one duck, one chicken) have stunted growth which could very possible be due to the wrong feed. My friend advised me to put all back on chick feed until our new chick was 8wks old, then said to put all including my laying hen, on growers until my chick is 18/20 weeks, (she's now almost 12 wks - my two pullets and drakes are now approx 24/26 wks, my laying hen is 29 wks, my duck hens are 19 & 20 wks) and all are growing well and now I have my two flocks of four :love

Last edited:
It wasn't ever my intention to have chickens or ducks, in fact from a few years earlier I had decided I didn't want anymore animals but in May this year, my daughter and I took my 2yr old grandson to a commercial farm for a day out, one of the kiddie features is holding a chick while the farm hand gave an educational talk. My grandson wasn't interested in holding the chick so my daughter, not wanting to interrupt the farmhands speech, held the chick and that was it she was smitten! I have to say though, the farm are very irresponsible, they are so focused on selling the chicks they don't vet who they sell them too, and they told us wrong info, neither myself or my daughter had any idea what so ever how to look after chickens, nor did we know what it entails, we didn't even know what they need! The farmhands are so flippent about it, they're like 'oh its so easy - they practically take care of themselves'. My daughter has always liked the idea of having a duck and had spotted the ducklings, the farmhand (who is actually the farm manager) told us a chicken and duck can live together no props, also said its fine for them to live in a rabbit hutch, told us only give duck water to drink and not let it swim cos it could drown (which is correct as incubated ducks lack the waterproof oil they get from the mother) he put the two in a cardboard box and said they'd be fine to live in that box for a couple of weeks. We took them home, followed the scarce instructions they'd given us, gave them the food and water we'd been given for them - woke the next morning to finding the duckling dead. I phoned the farm, they claimed this had never happened before, said they'd give us a replacement, we weren't comfortable with that idea, felt like it made nothing of the little ducklings life, so we decided to bury our little one and buy another duckling, but this time I told the farmhand to make sure it was healthy enough not to die. A week into having our two beauties we decided they'd be better off having one of their own kind, so my daughter went back to the farm and got another chick and duckling. I spent hours and hours researching and the more I found out the more I realised how much wrong information the farm gave us, they told us at 8 weeks to put them onto layers feed, I only found out a couple of months ago they are supposed to have growers until 18 to 20 weeks. My daughter found having kids and trying to look after and manage the birds too much, so I adopted them and they are now officially mine, however my daughter and grandson live with me so still get to enjoy them. Once we realised the two ducks are drakes and I read all the horror stories about drakes trying to mate with chickens if they don't have females, we then got our two female ducks and are hoping they will pair (seem to be so far but test will be when spring comes, mating season). I then decided I'd like two flocks of four and in August a breeder friend of mine had a hen and chick he said I could have, it was then I found out mine should have been on growers and that giving them layers at such a young age could have set them up for liver and kidney damage, plus two of my females (one duck, one chicken) have stunted growth which could very possible be due to the wrong feed. My friend advised me to put all back on chick feed until our new chick was 8wks old, then said to put all including my laying hen, on growers until my chick is 18/20 weeks, (she's now almost 12 wks - my two pullets and drakes are now approx 24/26 wks, my laying hen is 29 wks, my duck hens are 19 & 20 wks) and all are growing well and now I have my two flocks of four :love
That's a real shame how the farmhand gave you such little and incorrect information. I believe that BAD information is worse than NO information. At least with no information you will tend to look for it, bad information, you stick with it until you know better. But it's great they are doing well now. Regarding feed, I'm not sure about ducks, but it's best to keep the hens on growers until they start laying, then they will benefit from layers. You can keep them on growers over the winter months when there not laying or laying less, it doesn't matter too much how old they are, just be sure to have grit and oyster shell, which you do! This is proper chicken and duck math in action, start with 2 and end up with 8! Post some pics if you can, it would be nice to see them!

I know exactly what you mean - mine are still young but I am already dreading losing them - such amazing creatures. Gotta say though, 9 years is well impressive, guess that's the difference between well kept animals and those neglected - I hope mine live that long and more :fl
I wish I could take the credit but so many others have died along the way. This isn’t a good place to free range really. Once chickens have free ranged and enjoyed their freedom, despite the risks involved, it’s very hard to confine them to a run. Here the problem is hawks and to build a large hawk proof run that would give them anything like the roaming area they have just isn’t realistic in the circumstances.

I didn't know there's a British version, I called numerous pet shops, searched UK net didn't find anything. - Don't know if you're interested but my daughter found a seller on ebay selling 4oz Nutri-drench for £17.00 plus free P&P (we on very low income any saving is a great help for us)
Could you tell me if you have ever used Electrolytes on your birds and if you have, what you think of it? I'm asking because one of my drakes has become very clumsy, hes eating, drinking and functioning well and shows no sign what so ever of illness nor injury, just seems to be very clumsy and struggles a bit getting out of the pool and sometimes ends up splatting on the ground, someone suggested I try him with electrolytes but I'm very weary about using something I know nothing about.
My daughter has ordered a UK version of Nutir Drench. I assume they are all very similar.

This is one good thing about BYC. There are a lot of experienced people who have kept chickens and ducks for many years. Unfortunately sometimes they are not the most vocal and it took me a while to work out who gave solid advice.
I was completely appalled by some of the medical type responses, not because the advice was bad, but because of the range of ailments they seemed to have had in their flocks. One might have been forgiven for thinking they ran a chicken hospital rather than a healthy flock of chickens. If I had experience of that many diseases I wouldn’t have any chickens left!
It took me a while to work out the were just people who had read a lot of stuff and had taken up the role as BYC vet/advisor, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom