!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

Pics
I wouldn't say "all." In your experience perhaps that's all you've dealt with though. We have two dogs that protect our property and they keep the varments (fox, skunks, raccoons, even bear, etc.) off of our property and they do not leave the property. They aren't "prey driven" they just protect our property.
Some dogs have low prey drive and won't stalk ,chase ,bite or kill other animals.My dogs have never chased a cat that didn't show fear and run first.

In both places I have lived Florida/NY both allow you to take matters into your own hands if your livestock are at risk for being injured or killed you can protect them. Two things to consider here from a legal/friendly neighbor standpoint:

1.) Asking for a reasonable remedy IE: Cost price for all the ducks and food for them to get to a year old, and asking them to either keep their dog on a leash and watch their animal OR have the dog on a run collar of some sort to prevent this in the future.
2.) If you are close to your neighbor and don't want drama. I would offer to integrate him with the new ducks you get so he would be less reactive. I've had much success w/ neighbors in the past when we have had elusive dogs that were super interested and had prey drives. The only way I have broken a few of my own dogs from killing them in the past is teaching them that they are part of the "pack".

I'm sorry for your losses but you do have a few things to think about going forward. I personally wouldn't get more ducks if the neighbor simply doesn't care to take ownership of his actions or be corrective.

Also from a legal standpoint please do not lie to police/animal control about scratches etc as they can sue you for damages if they get fined and can prove their dog never scratched you etc. (In certain states you can be charged for lying to an officer etc. so just be careful please).

Just a thought. It may be legal to shoot a dog on your property that's killing, chasing or maiming your animals BUT is it safe or legal to fire a weapon if there are houses, schools or other inhabited buildings or traffic within a certain distance of where you are shooting from? Safety takes precedence. You can not shoot the dog if your neighbor's house is so close you would be putting them in danger.

Just a thought. It may be legal to shoot a dog on your property that's killing, chasing or maiming your animals BUT is it safe or legal to fire a weapon if there are houses, schools or other inhabited buildings or traffic within a certain distance of where you are shooting from? Safety takes precedence. You can not shoot the dog if your neighbor's house is so close you would be putting them in danger.
Here, there's only a farm a couple of football fields away. The others are too far away to see and at night can barely see their yardlights. Our dogs would fight to the death if another dog or animal came here and attacked a chicken, or me. My 20-gauge couldn't hit any home but it sure would hit my coop and hopefully hit the attacking animal. All we do is shoot up in the air to scare the bear away, and I shot a sick skunk a couple of years ago. The dogs do the rest. That dog she's dealing with wouldn't dare come here in the first place. It's too bad so many people have to deal with such b.s. like this.

Some dogs have low prey drive and won't stalk ,chase ,bite or kill other animals.My dogs have never chased a cat that didn't show fear and run first.
My two dogs would die trying to save a chicken or me. All the neighbor's dog who is a couple of football fields away has to do is step out in the front of their house and my two are standing at the road on our side barking until he goes back. They'd kill it if it came here and attacked something.

what kind of fence do you have that the dog is able to get through? i have six foot high chain link with landscape ties and bricks along the bottom edges i don’t think dogs can get in. unless maybe they spent time digging but my geese would let me know they were there before they got very far.

For what it is worth, I'm in the solve for peace in the flock camp. Peace in the flock, peace in the herd, peace in the pack, peace in the neighborhood. If talking, law, etc doesn't solve it then build a fence. A better fence in this case.

Searching the internet or libraries or asking at land grant college extension offices will get information on fences to protect sheep from dogs. That is likely to get the most practical ways to effectively fence dogs out.

Back
Top Bottom