Utah!

Add my hard drive crashing and I'm SO far behind on stuff! Pls email me, not PM. Took me a bit just to find this Utah page. I'm going to try to find all the defaults and make sure I get emails since I lost all my old emails as well. :( Cynthia, pls count me in. Email me for my cell # if I didn't already give it. I'm not sure where Sphinx live but if workable I could drop off for him/her. Still digging through emails, so SO behind!

julie

Wow, you look so much like Jamie Curtis! I am SO sorry to hear of your mom. :( It'll be 8 years on 1/31 since I lost mine, still feels like yesterday... Never NEVER easy.

Well i do not buy chicks but if i did i would go to cal ranch for them but one of the main reasons for it is because i have a good relationship with the people at the store and i trust them and they are very good to me. or i would buy chicks from someone on here. i do not think you can get sexed silkie chicks because they are super hard to sex from what i hear.

Do you happen to know when Cal-Ranch starts carrying them? The lady at IFA said they are going to bring in RIR, Barred Rock, EE's, Leghorn, and Blue Andelusions. Do Cal-Ranchs typically bring in that sort of cross section? I'm not picky on where we get them just want to make sure we get them from somewhere that they are in good health. We got the ones we have now from someone locally but from what others have said about this person on this forum we dodged a bullet as far as health is concerned.

Do you happen to know when Cal-Ranch starts carrying them? The lady at IFA said they are going to bring in RIR, Barred Rock, EE's, Leghorn, and Blue Andelusions. Do Cal-Ranchs typically bring in that sort of cross section? I'm not picky on where we get them just want to make sure we get them from somewhere that they are in good health. We got the ones we have now from someone locally but from what others have said about this person on this forum we dodged a bullet as far as health is concerned.

i am not sure but you can call the store and ask. i shop at the west jordan store but i know there are other stores too. they normally have those types of breeds along with sex-links and some other breeds that i do not remember. they deal with a lot of chicks and from what i have seen they are in much better health than other places. they get them fairly early from what i remember and they keep getting more late into the year. i may go to cal ranch tomorrow so if i remember i will ask about the chicks for you :)

Throughout the Spring and Summer here in Logan there were many different varieties at both CAL and IFA---seems like every week they had new breeds, many many different kinds. After I picked mine out every time I went back it seemed like they had more different kinds that I wanted to try. All the different Wyandottes, lots of silkies and polish even. They almost always had Buff Orps, RIR, BR, Australorps, Wyandottes, sex-links,Leghorns, the commonly found ones. So you could check back if they do not have the kinds you want at first.
I got my BR at Cal Ranch over Pioneer day, after they had wound down and quit selling for a bit, they got another big batch in for that Holiday. Seems like that was the end of chicks shortly after.

Last edited:
Man, I'm gone for a couple of days, and this thread explodes, lol. By chance, is anyone familiar with something called Tricide-Neo for fish, and do you know of where I could get some? I noticed the other day that one of my new hens has Bumblefoot (boo
sad.png
) and I need to try and soak it before it gets really bad. I'm hesitant to do the surgery method of getting it out, because I'm not where I can tend to her foot every day for weeks. Although, I'm tempted to just make a small run and coop for her at my house and bring her here for a while, kind of under the radar, so that I can keep an eye on her (she's with the flock at my boyfriend's house in Tooele) So yeah, anyone ever heard of this stuff? I am so bummed right now.

Sphinx - Hope Hulk pulls through okay. That's mighty discouraging.

jwoo - I think CAL doesn't get chicks in until the Spring, but you could always call and see if they can order some in for you. I have a brochure from the hatchery they use and it says that they can place orders from Jan-Nov.

Personally, I think the-bird-man is giving you great advice and I would follow it. Last spring I rescued some chicks from another local feed store. They were in horrible shape - took me weeks to get them over their pasty butt, they lost their toes due to the flooring they were on, and to top it off, they ate their own feces. It was disgusting. I was also told they were sexed RIRs and they were straight run bantam campines - five of the seven were roos.

This wasn't an isolated case either, I have a friend who rescued birds from the same store with the same issue.

Lisa, thanks for your sweet words. It was really touching. Yeah, if she doesn't recover, it definitely isn't for time and effort.

My first set of chickens all came from the feed store- IFA. All were the gender they were supposed to be, and conditions seemed to be ok. They had all sealed up in cages so the general public couldn't reach in and grab them, which I liked. Cal Ranch just had them all in big bins, and not everyone properly supervises their kids.

I picked up my BLRW tonight. She wrote the date laid on every egg, and they were all laid yesterday or today. I'm letting them rest a couple hours, just in case (from the drive home), and then I'll set them tonight.

Personally, I think the-bird-man is giving you great advice and I would follow it. Last spring I rescued some chicks from another local feed store. They were in horrible shape - took me weeks to get them over their pasty butt, they lost their toes due to the flooring they were on, and to top it off, they ate their own feces. It was disgusting. I was also told they were sexed RIRs and they were straight run bantam campines - five of the seven were roos.

This wasn't an isolated case either, I have a friend who rescued birds from the same store with the same issue.

Ouch, that's crazy! Looks like I should check out what conditions they have the chicks in at both the Lindon IFA and the AF Cal-Ranch as mileage may vary from store to store but leaning towards the Cal-Ranch at this point. The IFA in Lindon is still pretty new, only been open about a year and last year I think they only got chicks in a few times and were always sold out by the time I popped in to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom