Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

I'm pretty sure the only respiratory illness that can be passed (very rarely) between chicken and human is a specific strain of avian influenza (H5N1). I would still rather not sneeze into my incubators, gets messy enough without it.

So I am inbreeding with Black Copper Maran roosters and cross pullets in the hopes of getting more BCM characteristics. Yet I had never looked at what day old BCM chicks looked like. I just googled them and OMG, 2/3's of my chicks look just like BCM chicks...woohoo!! See the black chick in my avatar...2/3's of my first hatch look just like him.

So I am inbreeding with Black Copper Maran roosters and cross pullets in the hopes of getting more BCM characteristics. Yet I had never looked at what day old BCM chicks looked like. I just googled them and OMG, 2/3's of my chicks look just like BCM chicks...woohoo!! See the black chick in my avatar...2/3's of my first hatch look just like him.
Awwww I have black australorps. All pure because my husband loves the color. Go figure.
1f644.png

I'm joining a little late. Mine are do to hatch 2-19!! I have a nice mix I set, 24 eggs from a farm in SC.
[/IMG]

here is the other 12. I had to check air cells before turning on the turner and 17 already show amazing development.

here is the other 12. I had to check air cells before turning on the turner and 17 already show amazing development.

Looks like you will have a nice mix. Wish I could talk my husband into mixing ours a little. I love our black australorps but come on. It was nice when I adopted 2 white leghorns when my mother n law moved but my husband doesn't like them.

Looks like you will have a nice mix. Wish I could talk my husband into mixing ours a little. I love our black australorps but come on. It was nice when I adopted 2 white leghorns when my mother n law moved but my husband doesn't like them.
That is one breed I don't have but they are on my want list. This batch has crazy possibilities as to what they are so it will be fun to figure them out!

That is one breed I don't have but they are on my want list. This batch has crazy possibilities as to what they are so it will be fun to figure them out!

I love the fact we started with these. A bought 10 babies 2 years ago from our local feed store and all 10 lived a full year before a critter killed 2 hens and all my current stock (not set eggs) are from my 1 rooster. He turned
1f608.png
1f608.png
so became
1f357.png
1f357.png
.. We got several for my mother n law when she fell in love with ours so the eggs from this batch are from the 2
1f62e.png
oops those be boys not girls chicks we got.
1f602.png
1f602.png
she couldn't have roosters so they came to my house. Now I'm waiting on 30 eggs to hatch and then all boys will be culled... I'll go get a non related boy from same feed store in March. He will grow and give me babies next year
1f642.png
1f643.png

Last edited:
I love the fact we started with these. A bought 10 babies 2 years ago from our local feed store and all 10 lived a full year before a critter killed 2 hens and all my current stock (not set eggs) are from my 1 rooster. He turned
1f608.png
1f608.png
so became
1f357.png
1f357.png
.. We got several for my mother n law when she fell in love with ours so the eggs from this batch are from the 2
1f62e.png
oops those be boys not girls chicks we got.
1f602.png
1f602.png
she couldn't have roosters so they came to my house. Now I'm waiting on 30 eggs to hatch and then all boys will be culled... I'll go get a non related boy from same feed store in March. He will grow and give me babies next year
1f642.png
1f643.png

Lolz, I have to ask, where are you getting these little icons from, they don't appear to me in my editor....

Back
Top Bottom