Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

I went vegetarian a few weeks ago.I tried vegan but slipped on 2 basic things-milk in my coffee and Lifeway Kefir. I am back to vegan.Been browsing the Everything Vegan book,and there are a lot of good recipes in there.I also got a book on the best veggie burgers since I love the bean and grain sandwiches. I have not found it hard to be meatless. I still do the chicken for dd,cook eggs,or make stuffed grape leaves with meat for dh. Not a big deal.

I have read a lot into what animals go through.It does make me sad,but I won't lecture anyone on it.I have mentioned it to family,but not to make them ill during their meat meals,lol.

I am liking all the alternative *milks* . I have yet to try hemp *milk*,but so far my favorite is homemade oat *milk*.Unfortunately nothing has been good in my coffee,so I am trying to drink that black. I will try to grow some kefir in one of the alternative milks.

I have been checking out indian,asian,and middle eastern stores and trying their recipes. I love making vegan crepes and stuffing them with a variety of things from preserves to veggies. I like honey,especially honey comb even though it is not vegan,but agave is good too.Have not tried the rice syrup.I like sweet miso too.And UME paste(ground pickled plums) is good mixed onto steamed veggies.Makes a good salad dressing too.

Looking forward to checking my cholesterol numbers in a few months even though I know not everyone on a meatless diet drops numbers.I did drop last time I was meatless....then summer came and barbacues.Anyone see a drop in their numbers or other health benefits?

Yay! I didn't think I would find a veg thread on BYC!!!! My whole family was vegan and we originally got the chickens to take care of a huge spider and slug problem we had. It is kind of funny because we gather the eggs but no one really wants to eat them. Luckily our pullets are not laying much. Maybe by next spring we will have acclimated to the idea of eating eggs.

Great to see some veg heads on here!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I've seen tons of health benefits since I switched to a plant based diet. I feel so much lighter inside and have more energy. I have struggled with blood pressure problems, and eating a vegetarian diet that is also low sodium helps to keep my bp in check as well. I know a lot of people worry about what they would be able to eat on a veggie diet, and worry about missing their favorite comfort foods, but I have found that the longer I go without meat and a ton of salt the more sensative I am to flavors and the more I enjoy the foods I eat. I think that now, after 7 years, if I ate a serving of meat the heaviness and grease would kill me. I thought being vegetarian would be hard, but once I approached it with an open mind I found it was a much better fit for me. And, yes, the health benefits definately ake it worth sticking to....weight management, blood pressure management, cholesterol management, and more is all easier for me on a plant based veggie diet.

vegweb is a great recipe site for vegans. I use it all of the time. www.vegweb.com

However, if you like mexican try this recipe. It is my own creation and although it sounds really weird it is really and truly so delicious it will bring tears to your eyes. Plus it is simple.

Dice up a small head of cauliflower really small and steam for ten minutes until tender. Add a package of soyrizo and mix well. Serve on warm corn torillas with Better the Sourcream Toffuti and salsa. Add diced tomotes, shredded lettuce, olives or any thing else you happen to like on top but really it is wonderful just as it is. The cauliflower can't be tasted at all, it just soaks up the soyrizo spice and makes it really juicy. So good!!!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom